Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 month ago

Why doesn’t my brother ever eat? ?

He will not eat real food, like a meal. All he wants is junk. He’s 3. And whenever he sees someone eating, he begs and cries for it like he’s starving. But when I fix him food, he won’t eat it.  I babysit him so I can’t say what goes on at my aunts house. Is this just a toddler thing or is there something that needs to be fixed? 

Also, he’s very hardheaded. He will not listen to me and he’s getting to where he sticks his tongue out. How can I fix that while he’s with me? Or is this just a phase that’ll go away with time? 

• Edna

There's nothing that needs to be "fixed".  All 3-year-old kids are very picky about what they want to eat. Sticking his tongue out is just a phase he's going through. 

Yeah, it's normal and I am sure it's just a phase.

• Trisha

Can he talk? If he can't talk yet, he might be developmentally delayed.

• LizB

Wants others to share food they're eating? Normal. Prefers junk and snacks over healthier foods? Normal. Grazes all day but turns his nose up at full meals placed in front of him? Depends on the kid, but can definitely be normal.

With my own toddler, I addressed this by always including foods I knew he would eat alongside new foods or foods he was less likely to eat, and I left the rest up to him. Much of the time, once he started eating he realized he was hungry and would eat most or all of his meal, but sometimes he just ate the food he wanted and skipped the rest. Which is fine, he was a height-weight proportionate child in the 75-85th percentile for growth, so I knew he wouldn't starve just from eating lighter meals sometimes. That's just MY kid, though. Your brother (nephew?) may need different strategies, which is up to his parents to figure out and you to follow.

he just likes junk food, tell him he cant eat it till he eats real food, ask your aunt what she does

This is a toddler thing. It’s tough!

• Jill

It's normal but he would eat real food if that is all he had to eat. Sounds like he's been spoiled. There are no consequences so he has learned he can act that way to get what he wants. 

This is actual super common and at its highest in the toddler/pre-school ages. So, its almost over. Solve it by giving him 3 healthy options of something crunchy(celery with peanut butter in the middle or Pirates Booty which is a puffy rice flavored in white cheddar that u can find by the healther chips at the store), something sweet(apple sauce), and something savory/salty(whatever the meal was u guys were having like spaghetti, chicken, beef, sandwich, etc). Ask him to help set the table of prepare things by scooping the apple sauce into a bowl or getting the peanut butter from he cupboard. Next, ask him to be part of the "one bite club," in which everyone must take one bite of each thing before playing outside and explain the bites are needed to grow taller and get stronger and swim faster than before. As for the unhealthy cravings, he only knows they exist as he's been given them. A friend of mine convinced her daughter peaches were a huge treat and when her daughter misbehaved she would tell her "you will not get peaches if you dont xxxx" her daugher would freak! I also knew a toddler whose Mom was worried sick(initially) because all the kid would eat was chicken nuggets and Jello....yes, only those 2 things. He outgrew it and the doctor wasnt concerned. Next, get him to listen to you by being consistent by following through on consequences you present that will occur when he does not listen...no matter how much he screams, u keep to what u said. This will teach him that you arent playing any games even while he may act like a eild orangutan with others, he will adjust with u. No violence of course, just time outs(only a minute at his age), taking away a prized toy, taking away going to the park, not watching the rest of a favorite show, etc.

• Logan

It speaks to how he's being fed at home.

That sounds pretty normal. I have to withhold snacks from my three year old so he'll eat his actual meals. He also loves to eat what other people are eating. So does my two year old.

• LizB
      1 month agoReport

Honestly I think that tendency is evolutionary. If an adult is eating a food, then the toddler intuitively senses the food is good to eat and wants some. Even if they're not all that hungry, they may feel an instinct to ask for some of that food.