Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 4 weeks ago

would this concern you about your daycare?

I went to pick up my 22 month old the other day from a drop in daycare I use occasionally. I could hear a child crying really hard. They went and got in from a room they use as the nap room where the door was closed. I think they put him in a crib but I don't know for sure. The employee told me that he wouldn't stop getting into their cupboards so they put him in there. My son was really upset. I think kids need discipline when they don't listen I'm okay with time outs but to leave him unattended in a room with a door closed by himself concerns me a little. 22 month olds need to be supervised. I've never had any issues before with this daycare but they've hired new workers.

I send my 3 year old to her room at home when she misbehaves but not my 22 month old. it seems a little young to me to leave in a room by themselves..

i might wonder about that too

Nope, It's good they are punishing a child.

No. I would put my kids in time outs when they were under 2. I would just put them in their crib for 2 mins at the most. They would scream of course but quickly got the idea and I didn't have to do it often. If a child is old enough to disobey they are old enough to be corrected. But, a child of 22 months is not old enough to be told and understand why they can not play in cupboards. They are old enough to understand if they open up and play in cupboards they get put in their crib for a short moment.

By the way, my kids are now young adults, well behaved and we were not traumatized by this crib timeout.

• LizB
      4 weeks agoReport

^I agree, as long as the little boy wasn't in there for more than a few minutes. I have a 21 mo old and this is definitely the age of testing boundaries. It gets worse when they're tired, too. Could be the employees were giving him time to cry himself out a bit before settling him down for nap.