QueenOfHearts asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Help with good hygiene routines?

Please help. Apparently my hygiene is bad, I get mocked and teased all the time at work but in subtle ways, no one has directly told me “I smell”. I don’t get it, I never smell bad smells on myself. I shower twice daily, once before work, once after work. I use dove soap and I change my wash clothes often. After I bathe I lather up in scented lotion from head to toe and use a light body spray. Then I get dressed and use perfume. My favorite perfume is blvgari. I brush my teeth twice a day with an electric toothbrush and use mouthwash twice a day too. I use two different mouthwashes. One with alcohol like listerine and one without alcohol for whitenting like Colgate. My teeth aren’t the whitest, but they look regular to me. I brush my tongue as well and my gums never bleed so to me that’s indicative of decent oral health. However I know I struggle with flossing. I also chew a lot of mint gum, I go through a pack of gum in 2 days. I wear clinical strength secret deordarnt and I change my work uniform after 2 uses. What could I be doing wrong? This is so frustrating and embarrassing. It really hurts my feelings that people think I’m gross when I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. Also I change my underwear twice a day because I shower twice 

I think it could be the case that you have being bullied and this has nothing to do with your hygiene, and it could also be that you actually have a medical situation that is causing you to smell but since you are used to the smell you don't perceive it.

Talk to someone you trust (like a relative or a good friend) about it and ask questions about this or directly go to a doctor.

It could also be that you are trying to overkill it. Using lotion plus using perfume sounds too much for me. You don't need to bathe in perfumes in order to appear as clean. It could also be that you are using too much perfume and that also annoys people.

So what if you just stick to one (either body lotion or perfume) and just in small quantities. Also, change your uniform after one use and as I said if after this nothing changes consult a doctor.

STOP with all the scented products.

Scented body lotion then scented body spray and then perfume is TOO MUCH.  You have too many different scents all going on at one time.  What smells good to you STINKS to everyone else.

I am highly allergic to many types of perfumes and body sprays.  Being near someone like you that has used that much scented product would be pure torture to me.

Keep it simple.  Get unscented lotions and then either use just body spray or just perfume - not both.  

One last thing - DO NOT use your uniform twice.  What is the point in all the showers if you put dirty clothes back on.  

• Eva

Scented lotion, body spray, AND perfume is probably a bit much. Many people are allergic to strong smells and that includes the scent of perfume.