How do I get a high school teaching license when i got a degree in elementary education?

Like the title asks, how do I get a high school teaching license when i got a degree in elementary education? I’m licensed to teach K - 6 but if I want to teach English, do I need to go back to college? Thanks!

In the US, the requirements are based on each state so they vary a bit. 

But in general, you can become a HS English without going back to college. You will need to pass a test to show your competency in English. If you can not pass this test you may need to take college classes (or you could just go get an English degree and then you don't have to pass the test).

For other minor requirements, check with your state.

• Elaine

Does your Ministry of Education off er additional qualification courses for teachers?  Here in the Province of Ontario a teacher who is qualified in Primary, Junior, Intermediate can get Senior Qualifications in specific subjects depending on the university degree.  As an example a Senior Qualification in English:  one of the requirements may be x number of English courses taken at the university. 

• Expat

Call your local board of education. With a teaching license there’s usually a way to do that; they’ll have the answer.

• Damien

same way u got the license to teach k-6, apply for the license to teach high school