Proper fuse for HVAC?

My new HVAC unit when aux heat used is tripping the double pole fuse (25A).  Assuming I need to replace the double pole with a higher rated amperage? If so to what amperage? Attached photos of the amp draw from air handler.  Thanks!

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Snezzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Joe's answer is on target. The smallest heater kit will cause your system to draw nearly 30 amps. That means your wiring circuit requires at least that ampacity. You probably need to replace the wiring. For Chrissake don't just replace the breaker with a bigger one.

You need to have a genuine licensed electrician fix your problem. The electrician will do the work correctly, and you will be able to sleep at night without worrying about electrical fires.

Do not try to do the work yourself. Do not bring in some guy who claims to know wiring but is cheaper than a genuine licensed electrician. The wiring in my modular home was done, apparently, by a carpenter. Every once in a while I find Yet Another wiring error. Don't go there. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Yes, have someone install wire for at least 30 amps and connect it to a new 30-Amp breaker.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Well first you need to know which heat pack you have.  So you know the load your trying to pull.  Then to change that 25 to a higher amperage  you need to know what size wire is running to unit  10-2, 8-2, 6-2 . Most electric furnaces need at least 6-2 . But I'd say do your self a favor an call a pro sure its gonna cost you to get someone who actually knows what there doing.  

But its cheaper than you doing it wrong burn down your house then your insurance company denies your claim when they figure out you burnt a wire because you put a bigger breaker in.

• 1 month ago

NEVER replace a breaker with a higher rated one unless you replace ALL the wiring in the circuit. Even if the A/C requires a higher capacity, the wiring most likely can't handle more amps than the breaker.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

True, although much of my house has 10 AWG wiring feeding branches for 20A receptacles.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You cannot just put a higher amp fuse.  Call a licensed electrician before you burn your house down.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Joe
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Well, you'll get plenty of heat as your house burns down.

The fuse is sized to protect the wiring from overcurrent.  You may need a new wiring run from your main panelboard to the HVAC to support its draw (which could approach 30 Amps with the smallest heater kit).

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Friend take a look at the wire that is connected to that double pole switch. You can use a circuit breaker that matches the amps that the wire gauge can safely carry. You never replace a circuit breaker with a heavier breaker then the gauge of wire can safely carry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.