Monthly / Yearly Membership Plan for Photography Sessions?

Have you ever heard of a photographer offering a yearly membership plan (12 sessions) instead of individual sessions? Has anyone done this? Do you think it is doable?

1 Year Photography Membership (12 sessions per year: engagement, maternity, newborn, family, portraits, trash the dress, birthdays, anniversaries, etc)

$1,500.00 year or $150 a month 

*not including weddings! those would be separate."

Sessions would expire the year from the date you bought the membership package and sessions would NOT carry over.

Thoughts? I'm trying to find something different and niche.

Favorite Answer

I'm going to have to say no to this. I believe the answer from "Eva" is the most realistic one here. People now are totally satisfied to settle for "good enough" with their, and other people's, cell phone photos. It disgusts me, but that is reality. People are even oftentimes very dismayed at, for instance, photos of their wedding taken by amateurs with poor equipment, ... but ... they still keep right on doing it. There ARE people who still respect and will pay for proper, quality photography, but they are getting fewer and farther between. Even most people who buy a decent camera such as a DSLR will typically do nothing more than put it in Auto mode and Jpeg and accept whatever comes out of it. Spending lots of money trying to actually learn to use it properly is the last thing they want to do. Sorry, but I believe you idea would be doomed to epic failure.

• keerok

Never heard of something like that even during the time of film. I just can't see the point. The mere suggestion screams scam to me.

• Eva

No one is going to drop $1500 for photographs especially since everyone is now an "expert" with their phones.

• Frank

Not knowing anything about the photographer such as his/her talents and technical and artistic knowledge, it's hard to say if this plan is a good one or not.  Furthermore, not knowing anything about the classes, how many, the length, how thorough they are, or their content makes answering your question even more difficult.

I would highly suggest that you take a look at what kelbyone.com or lynda.com offer.  Lynda.com is a learning site that offers videos on a large variety of subjects.  Kelbyone is video-training site that is only for photography and video.  You're likely to find everything this photographer would teach you in a video by kelbyone.com and for a $19.99 per month.

The main benefit, I assume, for signing with this photographer for $150 a month is for personal feedback which you do not get with lynda or kelbyone.  That could easily be worth the additional premium depending upon your personal needs.