Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

Question about reducing your chances of getting bumped by way of seat assignments?

I have heard a lot of strategies for reducing your changes of getting bumped, such as not having the cheapest seats on the plane, arriving early, etc.

Another one I often hear of is that if you have an assigned seat, it reduces your chances of getting bumped.

By question is, who DOESN'T have an assigned seat?

I can't imagine in this day and age, many people are driving to the airport in advance of their travel date to buy the tickets in person.

I fly at least once a year, and every time I do so, I go online to the webpage of whichever airline I am using that time, and I view the seat map and specifically pick the seat I want from those available.

For example, Row 10, Seat D.

And I print up my tickets with that seat number on it.

Is that what they mean by having an assigned seat?

Doesn't everyone have that seat number on their ticket?

There is no 100 % guaranteed never be bumped situation.

Having in your case Row 10 Seat D usually works.

Should the plane get changed at the last minute some seats just might not exist on the replacement.

The Airline then accommodates as best they can to sit you in a similar seat.

Everyday something somewhere prevents all with seats to be able to use them.

Last year on average about 100 passenger per day from the 100,000 flights of the day.

Just the way it is and has been for a long time. In the old days as planes were not near full there was more wiggle room to accomadate unusual situations.

TRUE Airlines will look after their best customers first.Just like every other business.

Doesn't everyone have that seat number on their ticket? NO

That is the reason many get bumped off the flight. Airline ground crew try their best to sort this out BEFORE passengers begin boarding. They DO NOT take great joy in hauling someone off a plane.

Those that volunteer in advance usually get a reasonable package to arrive at destination a few hours later.

An Airline like South west does not assign seats and first few on board get their choice.

For the once a year traveller you are doing a good method to reduce to near zero your chance of being bumped.

HINT if you want the extras associated with the premium fare then just pay the premium fare. Those that fly cheapest seat possible have more risk.

The worst Airline by number of passengers carried is Mesa

The good news is, you’re still statistically unlikely to be one of the bumped passengers. Even on Mesa, only 0.01162% of all passengers get involuntarily bumped.

Airlines can't involuntarily bump people anymore, unless they arrive at the gate late. They will offer compensation to people who volunteer to take a later flight. They do overbook by a certain percentage, because there are people who don't show up for their flights- often because a previous flight is late arriving. There are reasons that you might not get your chosen seat. If there's a mechanical problem on the plane, they may have to substitute another plane with a different seat configuration. And, as one person detailed, I've had it happen on international flights that I couldn't choose my seat until the day of the flight. 

• skeptik

Sorry, but it's simply false that airlines can't involuntarily bump any more.
      There was a "Passengers Bill of Rights" proposed  a couple years ago that would have prohibited it, but it died in a GOP Congress.
      https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/bumping-oversales

• Mrsjvb

several of the el cheapo airlines like Southwest do not even offer seat assignments at all.  

most airlines now charge a fee to pick your own seat ahead of time.  

and sometimes they do not assign a seat until the last minute due to not knowing what aircraft will be used.   for instance, we flew just this past weekend, and our final leg from ATL to PNS we did not know our seat assignment until we got to ATL and checked the board at the gate.   our

• JuanB

That is an assigned seat.  If you pay full fair you get that.  But in these years of airlines nickle and dime you, anyone paying economy pays an extra fee if they want chose seats.  Otherwise it is assigned them when they check in.

• skeptik

Southwest does not have assigned seating - and never has.

Stand-bys don't have assigned seats until the very last minutes before boarding. Some airlines, like Southwest, don't even assign seats...ever.

Source(s): Frequent flier.

I do a lot of international flying.  This means I'll buy a ticket through one airline, but the flight is actually operated by a different airline.  For example, my husband and I flew from the US to the UK this year.  Our tickets were through American Airlines, I believe, but the flight was actually operated by British Airways.  BA customers got assigned seats.  We checked in 24 hours in advance and were only able to choose seats at that point.  On both flights (US to UK and back) we were unable to get seats together.  The British Airways customers got to pick seats when they purchased tickets, but the rest of us had to pick among the few seats that were left.  This is fairly common with international flights and has happened to us repeatedly.  This can also happen on domestic flights because there are small regional carriers that work with the big guys.

People who fly Southwest don't have assigned seats.

It's been that way for about 50 years.