How to locate and claim lost stock?

My mother just told me she bought stock in the Marriot hotels over 30yrs. ago. She does not know how to find and claim her stocks any help on this?

5 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    You'll have to contact the transfer agent

    Computershare Shareholder Services Inc.

    PO Box 43078

    Providence RI  02940-3078

    800 -311-4816 - all claims must be submitted in writing

    You'll have to provide the full name recorded on the certificate and/or the registered shareholder, also it would help if you have her social security number.

    Also, if she still is on file as a shareholder, you will need to have her post a bond - the paper work the bond can be provided by the transfer agent and there is usually a cost of 10% of market value for the bond.  The bond is used to "stop" the original certificate and issue a new one.

    In the event it has been over 7 years since she heard from the company, the stock may have been escheated to the state in which she lived.  If this is the case she will have to contact the state's department of corporations to enter a claim for the "lost" property.

    Good luckd

    Source(s): from The Street
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    The owner of the stocks are the stock certificate holders. If she no longer has the stock certificates, then she either sold them or they were stolen. Her luck has run out. What I suggest is that she looks hard through all of her files - every place where she could have put them, and then where she thinks she did not and would not have put them. If they are gone, then they are gone.

  • 1 month ago

    Start with Marriott's corporate secretary. That person will be located at their corporate headquarters, and they have information on whether your mother is a shareholder, or whether Marriott transferred your account to your state's unclaimed property department.

    I know others have posted a suggestion to contact Marriott's transfer agent.  This can work, but the corporate secretary's office can check their records and refer you to the correct party.

    Source(s): I once worked for a big corporation and while visiting the Corporate Secretary's office, his assistant showed me the procedures they use when they can't find a shareholder.
    • ...Show all comments
    • Richard
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      If you read my answer, I acknowledged that; but I recommended that you first contact the corporate secretary who can confirm who serves as the Transfer Agent.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    Start by confirming ownership, then buy a lost instrument bond...

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    Marriott International's transfer agent is:

    Computershare Shareholder Services

    (formerly BNY Mellon Shareowner Services)

    P.O. Box 43078

    Providence, RI 02940-3078

    1-800-311-4816 (U.S. and Canada)

    1-201-680-6693 (International)


    Computershare can assist shareholders of record with questions regarding stock transfers, dividend payments, address changes, enrollment in the Dividend Re-Investment Plan, lost stock certificates, and other matters.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.