Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 4 weeks ago

Mic and compress a guitar amp?

How to I properly mic and compress a guitar amp to sound good in recordings on GarageBand? I’m recording metal out of a little orange crush rt 20

Why should anyone help you when you will not respond to answers given and keep breaking the site rules by repeating the question?

Asked and answered twice already:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20...

You have still not said what equipment you have available.

Get a good quality audio interface such as a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

Get a good quality instrument mic such as a Shure SM57, plus a stand for it (as another answer mentions).

Set those up properly and it will work well.

If you have a cheap chinese mic such as an NW700 / BM800 or similar that goes from XLR to a 3.5mm plug - send it back and get a refund.

Or at least throw the lead away & return any phantom power unit you were sold with it. You can use an XLR cable to connect it to the interface, but it's still a toy.

• WUWR

I haven't used Garageband, and there are a lot of different ways to go with the recording but don't compress the track on the way in. Compress it after recording it so you have better control. The way we did guitars more often than not was to take an SM57 on a stand and leave a space 2 fingers wide from the speaker of the amp, generally not center speaker, but on the lower end of the inner circle. Being totally honest I don't remember what the difference is there (I haven't done any recording in around 15 years), but I do remember that we never just put the mic center speaker and I'm sure there was a good reason for it.

I think that's gonna depend on a lot of factors, the room, mic placement, mic, type of audio interface will all make a difference. The guitar audio should sound good before you even try to compress the track. I mean you could also record the track with a comp but I don't know why you would do that if you weren't doing to use a compressor for some fx purpose like in a combo with a distortion plugin maybe.

• snafu

Do you have an audio interface?  A piece of musical gadgetry that allows your guitar to be recorded into your computer.  Use a mic like a Sure sm57 plugged into the audio interface and mic up the amp appropriately.  GarageBand has a virtual compressor that can be applied to the guitar track.