Is this controlling and overbearing behavior?

My Mother seems to believe She has every right to my privacy. Mind you I'm a 35 year old woman! In so far as physically taking my cell phone and reading my messages, and even confiscating  my computer at one point. She still acts suspicious of me and accuses me of doing "bad things," again. Mind you this was all done "for my safety," because I had been talking to  strangers(ie adult men) online. She has also been dragging me(and my Dad) to church for the last 3 years. When previously to me having a stroke(at age 28) and living with Her, I did not go to church. Typically She uses guilt, manipulation, and Her invisible power over me(and my Dad) to get us to do what She wants. It certainly doesn't help me like Her more when She also happens to be very fat, lazy, and a religious person. AND Her IQ is definitely below average. After living with Her for some time  this has become painfully evident.

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

If you are not a troll and on the level, you need to see a therapist to help you chart a  path to leaving home. If you're disabled, you may be able to get help finding a suitable place to live. Talk to social services in your area.

You can't change your mother, but you can change your situation so that she no longer has access to your phone and computer. 

If you live in her house and are dependent on her, then yes, all of this will happen.

maybe you should move out

You're 35, living with your parents, and don't have your phone or computer password protected? See a therapist.

• KatieC

“Still” suspicious? Doing bad things “again?” Stroke at 28? Were/are you a drug addict or something? I mean, that makes a difference.

I suppose you live with her because you cannot afford to live out on your own. Otherwise...why the hell don't you move out and get a life of your own? If you and dad get along, think about the both of you moving out and living together, sharing the cost of the place you both move into.

• Barry

High time you left home.