Kaycee asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

Getting sick while working in fast food?

Let’s give some background. I recently started working at a popular burger chain about 4 months ago. I’ve had health problems for the grand majority of my life, thanks to my crappy immune system. However, when I started working at this restaurant, I started getting sick. Like, REALLY sick. I’ve been puking almost every day, and am constantly plagued with dizziness, lightheadedness, and confusion, all of which are very out of character for me. I had even come close to fainting at work a few times. The more I thought about it, the more I came to realize that I’ve been breathing in grease every day for the last 4 months. My parents think this is what’s causing my sickness, and doctors can’t seem to place why I’m getting so sick. So that brings me to my question: 

Is this a real thing other people have problems with? Is working in fast food making other people sick, like me?

Favorite Answer

There could be chemicals present both in the food you are frying and in the air you are breathing.  Are there any other employee's complaining of the same issues as you are having?  If you only feel this way at this particular job site, consider switching locations if that is practical or contact your local health authority about air sampling.  You did not mention if you are a smoker.  Should you be, I assure you that you are not helping yourself.  Smokers get twice as many respiratory infections per year than non-smokers.  I personally don't think any job working with vaporized liquid grease all day long is a good job nor healthy. No offense but they are usually low paying job with little to no security, poor advancement and poor working conditions.  In spites of laws and regulations, employer's insist on cutting corners to save a buck or make a buck.  For instance how often are the air filters and grill hoods cleaned?  How often does the frying oil get changed over?  What other pre-existing health issues did you have prior to working there?

• Kaycee1 month agoReport

I’m not a smoker, and am just very very prone to sicknesses like the flu and stomach bugs. The oil is changed daily, the filters weekly, and the grill hoods monthly. I’m currently the only one at work who has been sent home or had to stay home from work because of this. 

It's either grease, or something else in that place. Maybe find another job. I hope you feel better.

• edward

Wear a face mask

Do you eat their food?   or do you inhale a lot of smoke?