Brittany asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Does anyone have advice on their cats with diabetes?

So, I moved to a new state and found a new vet. I don't take my cats that often, just to get their vaccines updated so it had been about 3 years since their last visit. My cat Thomas J. started having a weird scabby growth on his ear so I took him in. Their was a cancer scare but after trying some medication it was going away and she said it was just solar dermatitis but we'll be monitoring it. Well, I had to get lab work done since he is 12 years old. They got it all except urine which I had to gather myself. They said it all looked good but his glucose levels which were a little high but thought it was due to stress. I finally bring in his sample and they called today saying it was +3 which was significant and he has to be started on insulin. I'm assuming that means he's diabetic, I'll be getting more information when I take him up there this week. With humans they check their blood sugar a lot, do I have to check my cat a similar way. I apologize if that's a dumb question. He also has urinary tract problems with a history of UTIs and kidney stones but has been doing good for the last 4 years being on a urinary tract health food. I've struggled with him losing weight because he doesn't really like toys much, refusing to move and play. I give him 1/2 cup a day spread out 3 times a day. I've gotten him to lose a little over 2 lbs the last 6 months and he now weighs 18 lbs. If anyone has advice or information about any of this I'd appreciate it.

one of my cats was diabetic--got him off the insulin fairly quickly by putting him on a low carb diet----I put him on wellness CORE grain free dry food and gave him fancy feast pate--no gravy or anything--just the basic cat food in the cans...

his bg leveled out and maintained--and yes-at first you need to test his bg--you can actually do it yourself if you have a monitor and strips if you or someone you know is diabetic--you just prick along the outside of the ear (you can see the blood vessel if you look with a light..)

• Ken S

Hi

I am a feline diabetes expert and have worked with many people helping them with their diabetic cats. You haven't mentioned any symptoms. Any excessive drinking? peeing? losing weight while eating more? Any back leg problems?

Email me your answers at justken@rocketmail,com and we will talk about the next step.

• Brittany1 month agoReport

Thank you so much for your response. I'll definitely be in touch.

Get him on grain free canned food. The water will help with his urinary issues and grain free canned food is lower in carbs which will be good for diabetes. He will probably lose a little weight too on canned. If you want to keep him on his prescription food at least switch him to the canned version. It likely wont be grain free but it will still be lower in carbs and its important that cats get water through food because otherwise they don't get enough. 

I don't think you need to test a cats blood sugar as often as a person needs to.

• Laura

No you do not need to check a cat's blood sugar level like you do with a human, but you do need to check it regularly.  I'm honesty not sure how it happens because I've never had a cat with diabetes. 

Treating this is very similar to humans, he gets an insulin shot regularly along with meals and goes to the vet a bit more often, but thats about it. 

He should be fine to stay on the same food, especially if it is helping his UTI issues.  My cat used to have UTI issues and I got a water fountain for her, she loves it and it has really reduced how many UTIs she gets because she is hydrated now.  I would talk with your vet about other ways to help with this, adding wet food might be good for him too. 

• Brittany1 month agoReport

I also have a water fountain which definitely helps. He's not a fan of wet food but I'd be happy to try out some different foods for him.

• Eva

General rule is the high fiber diets will help. Most cats do well on insulin for 3 - 5 years. Eventually it won't help any more and he will tell you when that is.

• Brittany1 month agoReport

I'm glad that I at least I have enough common sense to know that high fiber is the opposite of what is needed for him.