how to cancel car insurance for a friend that i insured with no license under my name to get his car on the road?

my friend who is addicted to drugs and needed a way to get high did a bad thing and insured someones car for them and the person has no licence i know how bad this is and im not trying to hear about that can someone give me the steps for canceling and getting those plates back so that i know shes safe i live in a different state or i would have beat the dude to a pulp myself but this girl is very dear and special to me and she is trying to do the right thing now i dont need here past to do something to screw all the work she put into getting clean this past week up please help me asap thank you and appreciate it

You can't cancel insurance for someone else.

• Edna

Cancelling the insurance has nothing to do with "getting those plates back".  Plates are issued when the car is registered; not when the car is insured.

Tell your "friend" to phone the insurance company and cancel the insurance. He's the only one who can do it.  I'm assuming your "friend" insured the car under his own name, and the policy is in your friend's name. .

How in heck did your friend manage to  insure someone's else's car for them, if that person has no license?  One of the first things an insurance company wants to know and checks is the status of your driver's license.  

• g

Only the person who activated the insurance policy of the automobile has authority to cancel the policy.  Period.  

Punctuation.  Learn it, know it, use it.

And stay off the drugs.  Especially the really cheap drugs.

You call the insurance company and tell them to drop one driver or THE driver you were paying for. They would drop the car that you insured from the policy unless it's your car, of course. Or you simply do not pay the bill when it comes due and the car is automatically dropped and the policy voided. 

You cannot cancel someone else's policy.  Only the "named insured" on the policy can cancel it.  

I see prison in your future. A tag is the least of your concerns.

I don't think there's a friend. I think this is you.  I am concerned that you would be dishonest in the question. That has resulted in answers which are NOT correct.

You are foolish and have wasted everyone's time:  "sentenced 2 years in new york. how many months will i get?"

LEGALLY only the person who purchased the insurance can cancel it.  For example, I can't cancel your insurance.

Getting plates back and cancelling insurance are two different things.  In MY State if you don't have insurance the Police are notified and they will come and take the plates off the car, BUT that takes months.

I suspect that beating anyone to a pulp is counterproductive.

I see nothing you can do.  You can always notify the Police that the person is driving uninsured (if that's your argument) or without a Driver License (if that's your issue), but I don't know that the Police will get into "stake out" mode.

Take the plates off someone else's vehicle and you or anyone acting on your request will be arrested.

Is your friend aware that SHE is liable should the other person get into an accident?  You CANNOT get plates for a car you don't own, so I assume your friend is also the registered owner of this vehicle.

Foolish.  Your friend has been clean for seven days?  In MY State if she lied she has committed a felony, straight or not straight.  I see no "easy way" to resolve this.  IF the insurance is in your friend's name, then SHE can cancel it BUT in many States you need to turn the plates in, hand the receipt for turning them in to your insurance carrier and then cancel the insurance.

I moved from one State to another, left my car in State #1, garaged.  Got to the new State, tried to cancel the liability insurance in State #1 because the car wouldn't be used, was secure.  I could not until I turned the plates in to DMV.  But I was in State #2.  I finally had a friend take the plates off the car in State #1 and turn them in using my Power of Attorney.  I then gave that receipt to my insurance carrier and canceled my coverage.  It's not an easy process.

Your friend's liability in this is staggering.

• Eva

Get those plates back immediately!!!!!! What a stupid thing to do. Any accident would be on your record, and guess what - the insurance wouldn't pay a dime because you allowed an insured driver to drive "your" car. You surrender the plates to the DMV and they give you a slip that you have to turn in to the insurance company.

• debbie4 weeks agoReport

thats the problem she cant get to the car with the plates i think i said just report the plates stolen right?
      or does she just tell the truth when she reports the plates that she was under the influence when she insured the car