I am stuck. What do I do?

So I'm a 23 year old, living in a country as an expat. I don't have a job (because no one wants to give me a job as they've to get me a permit), I cannot study because my father cannot afford to make me study, I just have a month or two remaining before I have to leave the country as my visa expires. Mind you, I've been staying in this country for 15 years but I had to get a visa a month ago in order to stay in my own country 😭 My boyfriend is here, my best friends are here, my dogs are here! I don't want to leave this country to go anywhere else. I cannot get citizenship in this country because I am above 18 so I've to work for at least 3 years with a permit to become a citizen. I just have no idea what to do. I feel betrayed. My father brought our family to this country and he didn't even think about our future. I am stuck. What am i supposed to do??

• Foofa

You can take up your father's poor planning with him. It would certainly help to know what country you're in. But in almost every country there's a mechanism for a citizen to sponsor a foreign spouse. So if your boyfriend is as tearful as you are over this maybe he'd be willing to marry and sponsor you. Mind you 23 is a wee bit young to marry. But people have made that work in the long run so it could be worth considering.

You have known for years that you are living in a foreign country on a temporary basis. You have to return to your own country. The one you are in is not "yours." Perhaps you can take your dogs with you. You're going home, so have your father use his earnings from his long employment abroad to set you up back home in your own country. 

In your country, you can work without restrictions, without any visa or permits. Start looking for work as you prepare to return to your own country. Good heavens! You're an adult. You should have returned to your own country when you turned 18 & started creating your own life instead of whining about having to leave a place where you have no right to remain.

• james

Hope you are American. Return home if so. Go on welfare. Get a education grant. Go to school & build a future. 

• Lisa A

Return home, and start building a life there. Once you are established, with a good income, you can sponsor your boyfriend to immigrate to your country to marry you.

Depends on which countries. If you have the skills for a particular job there are employers willing to sponsor you. You ve been there for fifteen years, speak to people you ve worked with previously to see if any of them know some one for work. Also, as your visa is not expired yet you may be able to extend your visa or change your visa status.

• ?

I would bus out to some kind of sanctuary city. Northern Virginia is an unofficial one. They do have organizations that help people like you.

I'm from there and couldn't stand it because I actually felt people like you got favored over native born citizens. But, on an individual basis I can actually have some sympathy for your dilemma.

You need to go to a very strongly Democrat wealthy suburb. Cities theres too many of you guys.