promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Tori asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Help Identifying a Worm ?

I have 3 cats & 1 dog and I'll take them to the vet for deworming, however, I'd like to identify what this is & make sure its not a worm found in humans.  

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

That is a maggot. It's the larvae (a stage in growth) of the common house fly. It's not a parasite. They feed on rotting flesh or meat. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Which translates to "Can I get this worm?  If not then I WON'T be getting my pets to the vet."

No way to know how big that is without anything to scale it to.  Roundworm and hookworm are long and thin.  This looks more like a proglottid (tapeworm segment) but could also be a maggot (fly larvae).  Did it come OUT of your pet or did you find it ON your pet?

Just DO get your pets to the vet.  If it's tapeworm then it's probably due to your pets having fleas since they get tapeworm by ingesting a flea or stepping on a segment left in the litter box by another infested cat.

I'm not going to answer whether you can get this worm because that will just keep you from caring for these poor pets.

• Tori2 months agoReport

My animals always go to the vet multiple times a year for checkups and boosters and for any problems, Not cool to make your own assumptions about peoples lives and the care they give for their pets. 

• 2 months ago

I can tell you it is not a roundworm or a tapeworm....

• 2 months ago

Impossible to judge size in that photo but it sure looks like a flea larva. Could be something else, anyway. Many of those things look very similar to each other. It's very rare for people and pets to get the same worms.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Laura
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

All of the internal parasites your pet can get, you can get too.  Wash your hands after touching them so you don't get them too.

Be sure to talk with your vet about how to clean your litter box so your cats don't reinfect themselves, and how to clean your yard so your dogs don't reinfect themselves. 

I would also get flea medication from the vet.  Your pet gets internal parasites from eating an infected flea, so if you get rid of the fleas you get rid of any change of your pets getting worms again.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.