Buying a nintendo switch?

I am planning on buying a Nintendo Switch, and I am wondering what I should consider before purchasing.

Will I also need to buy a micro SD card? And are there any other accessories that I will need to buy?

Additionally, is it better to buy a bundle that includes a game with it already? Or should I just buy the console, and the games I want separately? 

Any other considerations on buying a nintendo switch? Its a big purchase for me, so I want to make sure i get the best deal! 

• John

i would buy a carrying case and a screen protector, but anything else is superfluous. you may decide on a pro controller later on, but i find the grip con to be plenty comfortable for my tiny hands. as for an sd card, you'll probably need on eventually, but i wouldn't worry about it for the moment, especially if you tend to get physical games when they're an option for the game you want.

as for a bundle, if there's a bundle that includes a game you want to get anyway, like mario kart 8, you may as well. they tend to save you money compared to buying things separately.

• SIR

Wether you will need an SD card depends on if you're buying physical games or digital games. If you're buying physical games only you *probably* won't need an SD card. But then it depends on how many games you plan on buying altogether- some people don't bother buying more than 10 games, other people get over 20. You should probably look to getting an SD card eventually but you won't need one for a while if you're going to get physical games.

It probably would be better to buy a bundle console with a game included, because I think that would be cheaper than buying a console and the game separately. 

I would recommend getting a tempered glass screen protector for the Switch ASAP because the Switch has had new of the screen getting scratched by it's own docking station somehow. A terrible design on Nintendo's part. The Switch screen will be completely safe if you get a glass screen protector. In fact, it'll have so much durability it could survive being hit by a sledgehammer (but please don't actually try it, for the love of God).

Games I would recommend:

•Zelda Breath of the wild. (Not worth it if you have the Wii U version)

•Super Mario Odyssey.

•Luigi's mansion 3

•Splatoon 2. This game relies on an internet connection, and you have to use Nintendo's paid online

•Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (A Wii U port)

•Mario kart 8 deluxe (again a Wii U port)

While recommendations will vary, based on your preferred use case, I would recommend budgeting around $500 for start-up costs for the standard Switch.  You can cut $100 (budgeting $400) if you're going for the Switch Lite.

The main reason for the budgeting is:

* $300 - Switch Console base

* $100 - 2 Physical Games

* $_50 - Micro SD card (128 / 256 GB)

* $_50 - 10% Sales Tax Estimate

Exact costs WILL vary (as you may pay more on the games & pay less on the Micro SD card), but this will give comfortable start.  I do recommend getting as large capacity MicroSD card that you can comfortably afford as the Switch will want to use it for your digital downloads, updates / patches, DLC & photos / videos first (reserving the internal storage for save files initially, then as secondary storage when the MicroSD card runs low on space).  Most stores (like Walmart) will carry cards from 16 GB's (for ~$6) up to 256 GB's (~$35).  Don't worry too much on brand as SD card specs are standardized, just make sure it's a Class 10 (C10) or a "U1" card for reasonable speeds.  You can go with a U3 card, but the Switch may not be able to utilize the speeds it supports.

If you're wanting to play online with others, you will to subscribe to Switch Online services, which runs $20 / yr for an individual & $35 / yr for a family (up to 8 accounts).  You can go for 1 month (for $4; $48 / yr) & 3 month (for $8; $32 / yr) for individuals as well, but I don't recommend it.  With the subscription, you'll get access to the NES & SNES Online services as well as the main game mode in Tetris 99 (offline game modes require a $10 DLC purchase).

I will note that Nintendo does offer a 7-day trial, but will roll into a monthly subscription (@ $4 / mo) if you don't cancel.  If you subscribe without a prepaid card, Nintendo will set up auto-renew at your selected time period with your preferred payment method.  You can cancel the auto-renewal at any time outside 2 days of your renewal.  FOR EXAMPLE, if your subscription is scheduled to renew on Sept. 15th, you have until Sept. 13th to cancel the renewal.  Additionally, subscription time does stack (so if you purchased a year subscription on Sept. 15th, 2019 & then redeem a 3 month online subscription included with a game, your subscription won't renew until roughly Dec. 14th, 2020) & you are able to convert an individual subscription into discounted family subscription (as Nintendo will give you $0.05 / day unused towards the purchase a family subscription).

For accessories, these can be purchased at your leisure, but here's some items to consider.

* Switch Carrying Case -- If you're planning on taking your Switch on the go, this is a must grab.  This will fit your Switch w/ JoyCons attached, A couple of Switch game cards, & a pouch for JoyCon wrist straps or AC charger.  If you have a Switch Lite, go for the Lite case for a better fit.

* Extra AC Adapter (standard Switch only) -- If you're taking your Switch on the go, it helps to have a spare adapter so you don't remove the one on your Switch dock.  If you have a Switch Lite, you can skip this (as it's already portable).

* Rechargeable Tilting Stand -- The Switch's kickstand isn't the greatest in terms of viewing angle when wanting to play in tabletop mode.  This tiny stand gives you more flexibility on angle & includes a USB-C pass-through (as the stand connects to the Switch through it) to accommodate recharging OR use of other wired accessories.

* Anker PowerCore 13400 / 20100 Switch Edition -- These are the official licensed battery banks (so they won't void your warranty) & provides up to 10 / 15 hours of extra playtime (depending on capacity & game you're playing) on the go.  These can also be used with other mobile devices (like your phone), so it's worth keeping one around.  If you don't want to go with these, just make sure your battery bank has a Power Delivery chip to avoid damaging the Switch.

* Flip Grip (standard Switch only) -- This simple, yet highly effective accessory allows you to play that support "Tate mode" (which games that utilize a vertical orientation will support, like arcade shooters, pinball & whatnot... eliminating background sidebars) on the go.  It support both handheld & tabletop mode (with the included instruction card to serve as the stand).

* Switch Pro Controller -- This is recommended for TV mode (but would work well for tabletop mode) if you don't like using the JoyCons for non-motion controls.  It supports a 40-hour battery life (vs 20 hours with the JoyCons) & recharges via USB-C (C-to-A cable included) & has an XBox One style layout.

* Game Card Holders -- This is preferred for playing on the go, but it's always nice to have a place to hold your game cards in one (or two) place(s) without having to lug the game cases (which are mostly empty space).  These are relatively hard to find in department stores, so you may have to search for them or buy them online.  You can find them in 6 & 24 card varieties.

There might be a few other accessories to consider, but these are the major accessories I can recommend.

Hope this helps!

The Nintendo Switch does come with 32 GB of internal storage.  If you buy primarily Physical games, even this can fill up quickly if the game is patched often.  I would recommend buying some form of MicroSD card.  You can get a 128 GB card for about $20 now (they were $80 when I bought one three years ago): https://amzn.to/2Rt78FK  If you are planning on buying games digitally, you should go with a larger card.  I've upgraded to a 400 GB card and it's about 70% full.

Be careful with systems that come packed in with games, especially the Mario Kart 8 bundle as they are still sold with the old hardware model that has a lower battery life over new systems manufactured today.  If you buy a stand-alone system and the games that you want, you should get the current model.

One more thing that I'd look into is to get a good case for it if you plan on traveling with it.  I personally don't use one as I'm pretty careful with my device, but I know others who wouldn't go out with it without one.

Here is a web site that we set up (I co-host a Nintendo-parenting themed podcast) with our recommendations for other accessories that may be useful.  You can find that list here: https://www.nintendodads.org/recommendations/