promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
ravenhill asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

if the Normans had never conquered england what would britain be like today?

asking this again because i never got any informative sensible answers to it yesterday.

what would be different about britain today if the Normans had never invaded?

and would i still be here?; a man in my 40's from britain with ancestry from spain and the isle of man.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Culturally, England will be Western European at last no matter whether the Normans conquered it or not. In fact, Anglo-Saxon kings had begun to learn Latin.

In the Renaissance, France was one of the leading countries. Very Unlikely that England would have resisted the French culture. Similarly, England would not have given up chances in America.

Thus England won't be Northern European anyway even if kings and queens weren't Norman.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Elaine
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

These "what if" questions can be never be answered as there are too many possibilities or outcomes.  Maybe Harold Godwin would not have been able to unite all the Anglo Saxon "kingdoms" into one country.  Maybe he could have.  Maybe some of Harald Hardraada's relatives would have laid claim to the English throne. Maybe the Scots could have made a successful invasion of England. The point is that while these "what if" questions can lead to all kinds of speculation there will never be just one single outcome.  However small the change might be in one thing that change affects everything else. As an example The Battle of Marathon, while it may have been insignificant to the Persians determined the course of Western European history. 

• speculate or theorize then, it's not hard, maybe i should of put that in the question.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's really not a sensible question. There are many variables. The Moors could have conquered England. The Moors had most of Spain, and they were Moslems from North Africa. The French could have conquered England later. The Danes could have re-invaded England. The Picts could have conquered England.  The Welsh or Irish could have done it.  One event builds on the events that happened before it.  If the Norse settlements in Canada and the US had taken firm root, the "Indians" from the northeast coast to the Great Lakes and Hudson's Bay would have had Norsemen's blood and their languages Norse words when Cabot and Cartier arrived 500 years later.  But that didn't happen.

You as you are now would not exist, IMO. Neither would I as I am.

• Sir Caustic
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

He's not a sensible guy, Marls.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.