Worried about persistent fever?

Background: 

I'm a 28 year old male.

Generally, healthy. I had my physical done in November and my CBC came back normal except for low RBC count but the doctor said it was fine since my Hemoglobin was normal.

Two weeks ago, I started feeling sick. It started with a sore throat. Followed by a stuffy nose. I'm not sure if I had a fever, but if I did it wasn't very high. This lasted for about a week. 

Last week, (once the sore throat and stuffy nose subsided), I had a cough that was producing quite a bit of phlegm. I definitely noticed a fever Friday evening but it couldn't have been too high since I was able to go to the gym. Over the weekend, however, I believe I had a low grade fever (98.7-99.5) since I felt the chills. 

As of yesterday, the cough is no longer producing as much (if any) phlegm. This morning I had an appointment with a dermatologist for my acne and had them check my temperature and it was 98.9. Normally, my temperature is usually on the lower end so 98.9 is definitely elevated for me. 

Could this persistent fever be a sign of something more serious (blood cancer and/or an autoimmune disease?

• Diana
    Favorite Answer

Most likely, you have a respiratory infection that requires antibiotics.

It sounds like you have a cold. Colds can sometimes produce fevers and often produce coughing. It should clear up on its own in another two weeks.

Doodoo. Doodoo. Doodoo. Doodoo. Doodoo

• Brian

Yes, dermatologists are renowned ENT specialists.