Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Why do so many folks who can’t afford cigarettes, smoke cigarettes ?

I see you working at your fast food job, ridin’ around in your 1992 Chevy Cavalier with the bald tires and sounding like it could explode at any moment. Screaming kids in the backseat wearing yard sale clothes...

But one thing that you always have is your cigarettes, even if your kids gotta eat ramen noodles so you to afford your cancer sticks ;)

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Because we're addicted idiots, that's why. I used to smoke (haven't touched one since 12/22/17), but when I smoked my heaviest (late teens, early 20's), I was making $7.00 an hour, working 30 hours per week, and spending $80 PER WEEK on smokes. We validate this as a stress reliever, we NEED it, therefore we earned it. 

I know...I know...I'm so happy I quit. There are no excuses for starting such a disgusting habit, but so many MANY MANY pros of quitting. I wish everyone would.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

the saying goes "drugs will get you through times of no money better than money will get you though times of no drugs"

Addiction is addiction, and poverty messes with your thinking

• 1 month ago

Idk that is a good question seeing as my uncle begs for money all the time. He's not homeless or poor he just don't keep change and such to buy cigs. I guess its due to addiction really. Rather that addiction is nicotene or habit or just wanting to calm

• 1 month ago

They have their priorities. We qualified for free school lunches but Dad refused to sign us up. So he wasted money on our regular priced lunches every day. He also wasted money on beer and cigarettes. No matter what we did without, we always had money for beer and cigarettes. He called himself a "self-employed" welder. He deluded himself into thinking that he was actually providing for us. This delusion was part of his reasoning that he could spend "his" money on what he wanted.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Stan
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Geeze

Elitist much, do we?

• 1 month agoReport

Tell your kids that when they want more than ramen noodles for dinner 

• TB12
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

HEY,,,,,, that's a '94 Cavalier and I only got six more payments and it's all mine,,, and them ain't my kids,, not all of them anyway,,, and I'll have you know I quit smoking, it was cutting into my meth budget.

• 1 month ago

Good question.… I suppose for the same reason those same people buy lottery tickets and beer.  Some people just do not make good decisions....The Problem with that is they think we should give to them until we TOO are poor. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Addiction takes over your life.

• 1 month ago

My mom used to say, "Poor people have poor ways".   :)

I think for one thing, it never seems like reality to them, that they would ever get cancer.   I am merciful to smokers, cuz I was one, for 25 years.   Cigarettes seemed like a friend to me.   I also had no idea just how addictive they really were.

• 1 month ago

The only way to know for sure is try it yourself!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.