What would be the evolutionary reason for gayness/lesbianism to exist or is it purely a malfunction?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Not everything which is genetically determined has a function and sexuality is probably not primarily genetically determined. However, for technological species such as ourselves, there's no evolutionary reason for heterosexuality either. We could just reproduce by aritificial insemination if we chose to do so. That said, it's been suggested that loving couples provide a backup adoptive parenthood for orphans.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Being LGBT is a congenital condition. (developed before birth) Science is finding more evidence for it, every day. Therefore, it is not a sin, which is an outmoded concept.

• reme_1
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There are 1500 animals, birds, and insects that choose same sex partners. How is this a malfunction? We are just like other animals in nature.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Perhaps it's just some kind of mutation

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Since our finest minds can't seem to sort out whether the appendix serves any purpose or not, I don't think a poll on Y!A is going to shine much light on the role in all species that homosexuality plays.

This is but a troll's simple-minded idea of how to suggest homosexuality is sin.  Enjoy.

• Dan
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Rest assured, our appendix does indeed have a purpose.  I'm not sure where you've heard this.

• 1 month ago

Not every evolutionary change has a 'reason', but if there were one it might have to do with the planet being horribly overpopulated.

• 1 month ago

Erotica is learned. No single gene made a woman’s smooth legs barred in ultra short shorts erotic to me 

• Dan
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

No, but a collection of genes probably did.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Gay men are good uncles and have more time for their nieces and nephews.

I don't believe there is any significant evolutionary advantage. That is just retrospective rationalization.

• Dan
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

True -- and they also often take up the job of taking care of the elder members of the family while other members of the family procreate and provide.

• Liz
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

It's a choice of style of living, not evolutionary function.

• Dan
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

I doubt you're that stupid. Whether it's a dysfunction or not, for 99.999% it is absolutely not a choice. Get past your ignorance

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Any evolutionary reason given will be ex-post facto and hence require a god to have intervened to give reason to it. It's crazy how people say things like "seeing is beneficial to not seeing, thus eyes were evolved" or "Some parents abandon their young thus gay parents evolved"

Homosexuality has no evolutionary advantage, it just happens.

• Dan
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

I agree completely.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.