enlarging pictures?

in movies i tend to see the fbi agents searching for bad guys and all that by taking a picture across the street, enlarge the photo, enhance it, and then they catch the bad guys. is there any similar application to enlarge photo and then enhance the quality? so far ive tried numerous applications and the results are ****. thank you!

funnily enough everything you see in movies isn't true

infinite digital zoom without loss of resolution is one of them

imagine trying to learn more about a character in a book by getting closer to the page

if the information is not there you can't create it

Printing Pictures? Go Big - PosterJack.ca‎

Posters, Canvas, Peel & Stick, And More. Canada's Enlargement Experts. 24/7 Customer Support. See 25,000+ Reviews. Quality Matters. Top Quality Prints. Free Shipping Over $150. Ready To Hang. Fade Resistant Ink. Environmentally Friendly. Handmade in Canada.

Sounds crazy, I don't know, whether it'll surprise you or not! I'm talking about the program enables you to enlarge the photos without losing the original quality. Yes, I'm going to talk about Photoshop a photo enlarger program developed by Adobe. It has Sensei uses AI and machine learning to make everything might possible! 

• keerok

Yes, it happens only in the movies and TV.

• Frank

No, there isn't such software.  The idea of being able to take a pixelated blurry shot and "enhance" it somehow to clearly read a license plate is pure Hollywood fiction BS.

There is a Photoshop filter for reducing image blur, but for the most part it's hit and miss with more miss than hit. Other than that, there's no software for the general public that can anything like what you see on TV.  The F.B.I., C.I.A., N.S.A. and the like could possibly have some special app, but I cannot confirm or deny the existence of such software.

• qrk

What you see in the movies is not reality. If information is missing, you can't get it back. There are techniques to improve poor focus and motion blur, but you need a reference object to do an inverse convolution. The results are less than stellar.

Commonly seen in movies and TV shows is using thermal infrared cameras to look through walls. Pure fabrication. Try looking through a piece of glass with a thermal IR camera. You won't see anything on the other side of the glass.

• John

I was on Google Earth just playing around somewhere in the middle east.  Maybe it was Egypt looking at pyramids. There was a house without a roof - probably bombed. Inside was a man and on the nightstand it looked like a pack of cigarettes. Couldn't make out the brand....... So there's your uncanny long range photography. But the real answer is that if you take a picture of a license plate with your phone and it is fuzzy, not even the Feds have much that can make it clear. Image enhancement works on just about everything BUT focus.

Put it closer to the camera 

An online acquaintance who's the best researcher I know was talking about this to several of us seven or eight years ago, when it was used in some movie. I no longer remember the movie, but I remember what he said. This technology, which takes images from a distance at such high resolution that you can zoom and zoom without losing focus, does exist but is available only to the military.

It's not too big a stretch to imagine it making its way to the FBI, CIA, and other government entities who might benefit from it.