Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Can I be fired for AWOL for missing a day of work I thought I was off? I work for the DoD federal government.?

I’m a emergency response dispatcher for the military where I’m considered admin not mission essential until I’m officially out of the training status. I started this position August 2019. I’ve tested out of only one of the three disciplines (call taking, Fire/EMD, and Police Radio). I received another job in the government for a different department doing office work and it will be considered a promotional transfer. I start in mid March. I was informed that since I’m leaving I’m going to to be moved to day shift to work only police radios (since this is the only disciplined I was cleared from out of the 3). I’m not sure if this liability because typically your not allowed to work a radio by yourself unsupervised unless released from call taking and one other discipline. However we a short staffed so they bend rules to benefit them sometimes. I’m also typically off on holidays so as normal I didn’t come in today (MLK Day). I received a voice mail at 6:02 am saying that “I’m not sure if ur confused but ur considered for staffing on the floor since your leaving so u are supposed to be here.” I call back two hours later explaining that I was under the impression that I was off since it was a holiday. He said I would have to take it up with John due (my direct supervisors) because he sent her an email and wrote me off as AWOL/No call no show. I’m confused because they canceled my overtime because I wasn’t eligible based on me only being clear from only 1 discipline. 

The attached picture is an email we were sent in September. I never was sent an email letting me know I’m now required to work holidays even though it was also stated in email that “

For the Holiday on Monday the 20th: Trainees will continue to have holidays off while in a training status. If you are signed off in two disciplines and would like to work the Holiday for Holiday Grade pay you can do so.” My co worker just sent me this. 

when I signed up for overtime they took it away because I only had 1 discipline so they said I wasn’t eligible so how am I eligible to work holidays if that to requires 2 disciplines? ”we have removed your overtime that was scheduled for the remainder of January and all of February. It is policy that you can only work overtime if you have been released from call taking and either fire or security. I apologize for any confusion that I may have caused by allowing you to sign up for overtime.”

What should I do or say when I come back to work tomorrow? The supervisor I was communicating with doesn't like because I think he knows I was a witness in a investigation about which I had to sign and NDA for and write statement. Any advice anyone can give would be appreciated could this mess up my transfer in March? 

I would recommend resigning before they fire you

Only your supervisor knows for sure.

You can be fired for not showing up for work. AWOL ONLY applies to members of the military, so YOU can't be AWOL.

• Edwena

Probably not, but you need to explain the mistake and figure out a solution. New hires do dumb things and it is sort of the supervisor's job to know what they are and keep the new hire straight. My husband has told me a story of a new hire female engineer who was so confused as to her job that she was never at work on time. She was always reporting in to human resources instead of going straight to her job in engineering. That is what they told her to do for the first day and she kept doing it.

You need to get yourself to work. I have 30 years experience working for the federal government and I can enlighten you to a few things. If it's found you were scheduled off, it's all good.  If not, you might have a few hours AWOL that could be switched to non-pay status. That depends on how forgiving your boss is allowed to be or wants to be.  Nobody is going to jeopardize their career for you.  If you are probationary, an AWOL could end your job.  If you don't get fired and the AWOL stays, it will follow you to your new job.

Can you be fired for not showing up for work? Of course.

I doubt you'd be fired for missing a day but you may be punished for it.