Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

What foods did people eat in Germany at Christmas during World War II?

I am asking about the whole war; the first war Christmas in 1939 and the last war Christmas in 1944.

I am asking about the people living in cities

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

To add to Anonymous' good answer.

Consider the bombings, particularly from 1943 on.  Not only did the urban people lose homes; they lost butcher's and grocery stores.  The roads had craters. The farms had hard times getting produce to market. 

Add the hard winters of 1943-44 and 1944-45. Lots of cold and snow. Livestock died in the barns, and the harvests had been too poor.

Consider Hitler's "scorched earth decree" when the Allies entered Germany early in 1945. Factories, storehouses, vehicles and river barges: all to be destroyed. If the German people had any Christmas meal in 1944, they must have thought it was a feast when they looked at their plates in February 1945.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Do jew really want to know the answer to this?

• Tina
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why do have you asked this question at least twice?

• 1 month ago

I've heard troll questions before but never like this. You've asked this question before just before christmas back in 2019. Come on!!!!

• Sir Caustic
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

....... I haven't looked, but it probably got answered by the same, serious people too. Unbelievable............

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

During the early years of the war (1939-1941) Germany ate well and wasn't suffering from large air bombings so Christmas would be business as usual; roast goose, potato dumplings, red cabbage, gravy sauce, stollen, mulled wine etc. As the war progressed German cities were under constant bombardment and food shortages set in. By Christmas 1943-1944 food shortages were severe and people would be eating what ever they could get their hands on. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.