Whos the people's favorite/best auto insurance company ? Taking into consideration reputation, price, better business bureau, ect.,  ect.?

In Southern California

And why are they you're favorite. 

There are no favorites. There are only 'leading' companies, those that do the most sales volume and the most advertising. If you watch any TV at all, you know how competitive the business is...GEICO, Progressive, Liberty Mutual and Allstate are the most aggressive advertisers. They do this because people move their business fairly often, it is rare to stay with one company. It is necessary for the individual to constantly compare rates, because these companies and others will offer 'introductory' pricing that is lower than what you have but at every renewal, which is every six months with many of them, the rates creep up. And some of these companies offer multiple plans, all with different rules and pricing, so it can get confusing. For example, Allstate's 'accident forgiveness' policy has a different premium than their 'Drivewise' policy.

I had GEICO for several years and no one else could touch them. But then the premium started to creep up and there was never a good explanation for it, I had no claims or tickets. They would blame it on my state's 'rules'. I would compare rates once a year. Progressive never came anywhere close, ever. Several years ago, Allstate, under their safe driver policy where you install monitoring devices into your fusebox and earn 'discounts' based on how you drive, was the best deal. However, even though I was 'earning discounts' of a certain percentage, my premiums were actually rising a small amount every six months. Their explanation was that you are getting the correct discount, but off of a general, across the board rate increase for all drivers in your area. This kept up to the point that another company was cheaper - and telling me that in my state, rates actually went down, not up. So I am now with THAT company instead of Allstate. We will see what happens but probably within the next three years, I will be switching again.

And this is for someone with no chargeable accidents (two drivers) in over eight years and no traffic citations in over 30 years. If you have accidents with claims, and tickets, everything changes. You may find yourself looking for another company because you have no choice in the matter, you've been dropped.

People seem to like Mercury in Southern CA...thats where they are located so they do a slightly better job there....this is true of most if not all insurance companies.  

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of companies writing Auto Insurance in CA...I suggest you make 3 calls:

1. Independent Agent - Writes with multiple companies

2. Captive Agent - Allstate, StateFarm...can only write their own policies.

3. Try the internet.