If my family and I choose to immigrate to the UK from Australia, how can we secure ongoing incomes to afford living expenses?

I am from Australia. My mum was born in England and immigrated to Australua and married my Australian father. Therefore, mum has dual British-Australian citizenship and I am British by descent.

I heard it is easy for half British Australians to immigrate to the UK. If this is the case, if my family were able to immigrate, are there UK welfare payments we can get to afford living expenses like rent and food?

At the moment, my parents are on retirement benefits, my sister is on disability support benefits, and I'm on student benefits. None of us are currently working. With this in mind, is it easy for us to apply for UK welfare benefits prior to immigration and use the welfare to live on, until I find a job or win the lottery?

• Clive

No. Get a job. We're not paying for you.

You can secure it by saving up some money and not being a ponce.

If you want to move to UK - or anywhere - you are going to have to bring enough money with you to pay for all your relocation expenses + all your living expenses until you get a job & earn enough to pay your way. You lose all your current benefits, and have nothing to replace them except your earnings, savings, investments.

If you are all on "benefits," how are you going to pay for your transportation, hotels, etc, while you look for a place to live, find jobs? None of you are going anywhere.

• Reporting
      1 month agoReport

Articulate answer

It's easy as far as paperwork goes - but you won't get any benefits if you move, So you need to find a job, and be able to support yourself until then.

• Tavy

Good grief, none of you have paid into our system yet expect to get free money just for turning up.

The answer is NO.

UK

• Maxi

Any of you using your British passport can migrate to the UK, however as none of you are working then you will have to work and earn enough money to support yourselves before you even think about migrating, your father is not eligible to migrate he would require a spousal visa and it is unlikely you mother can sponsor that if she is retired, so he will not be migrating......... NO ONE British or not is claiming any benefits from the UK when you have not lived in the UK and paid into the UK, when you arrive all of you would have to find work and earn to support yourselves, you would have to find a private rental property and pay the rent, your mother if she worked and earned in Austrialia and recieves an Austrailian pension can arrange for it to be sent to her in the UK, so no you can't apply for benefits prior to migration, nor can you apply if you do arrive...you are responsible to all provide for yourselves

• ..

No, there are rules........