Phil
Phil asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 month ago

Does Ancestry.com ever make mistakes with their estimates/results ? what if my mother comes out way different than I calculated, what next?

after having my dna a couple of months ago I had my mom checked.

I estimated that she was double my 8 percent French and double my 5 percent Germanic. And double my Irish 28 percent and English 9 percent , which conveniently added up to 100 percent

But her results are 47 percent Irish and 53 percent English. No French and no German.

I should explain that my Father is from Russia  with his mom Russian/ Eastern Europ ean and his father possibly some Russian but  mostly Turkish/ caucasus,, Iran/ Persia and Middle East. Nowhere ear France and Germany.

Favorite Answer

What makes her think that she is also French and German? Perhaps the French and German is from your father and your mother obviously, has erroneous information. She isn't what she thought she was. People do get surprises you know, when they research their genealogy and when they get their DNA results.

• Zirp

it's not about making mistakes. A DNA-"ancestry"- test cannot determine ancestry. There are no genetics for nationality, ethnicity, or place of residence...and your greatgreatgrandparents aren't around to provide DNA.

A DNA-company can only compare your 47 bundles of DNA to those of other people that happen to be in that company's database. If a chromosome of yours looks the same as some that the company has only found in Sorbs, they will claim that you are 2 % (exact percentage depends on size of the chromosome) Sorb.

It is possible that that exact chromosome is even more common in some other demographic group, but if those  people are not in the database, the company will not find them.

Passing on chromosomes is a lottery. You get 23 chromosomes from either parent, but luck of the draw determines which ones.

the 47th bundle of DNA is mitochondrial, and every human gets it from his/her mother

• Maxi

DNA tests are sold so they make money and to entertain you..........send again and  you will get different results, so you will be entertained again...........

If you read their disclaimers you will see they guarantee very little about test results. They are not a reliable indicator of ethnicity which cannot possibly be categorized by something as specific as country of residence.