Jason asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

What happens if I use a bike lock on a car steering wheel and can't get it off?

Don't like using car locks made for cars as thieves will come prepared to unlock car locks but they won't expect a push bike lock around the steering wheel, plus a bike lock is less visible.

Its Unlikely, but what would I do if for some reason the bike lock would not come off lol 😀

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Replace steering wheel  $500+ more if electronic.

_____

Not practical. No need to use a lock, unless you live in a major city where theft is a daily thing. 

Steering wheel can easily be cut. (cut to remove lock, patched up or replaced later)

Bike lock can be immobilized. (duct tape, zip ties, bungee cords, rope/string.)

Get:

Club -or- Boot -or- GPS

A boot is most troublesome.

GPS is a passive security measure. Lesser damage to car. Highly likely to get car back. 

____

Less visibility is creating more of a problem. (if thief refuses to steal, you still have damages to repair. High visibility will eliminate those damages) 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

You would walk home.

• 1 month ago

How often has your vehicle been stolen. I have always driven a nice car. None have been vandalized or stolen. If the answer is ‘no’.... why bother?

Soccerref

• 1 month ago

This is a cycling forum.  No regular contributor on here is going to teach you how to steal a bicycle.  You win the troll award.

Attachment image
    Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Get a hacksaw & cut the steering wheel.  How do you think car thieves get around "The Club" so easily?  

Attachment image
  • Satan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

a bike lock is less visible? Surely you want a visual deterrant?

No point them breaking into the car, to find the lock - when a quick look shows a dayglo yellow lock, and they move onto an easier target?

As for what happens if you cant get it off, guess you'll have to get a locksmith or boltcutters

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Its funny when you try to explain that.

Anyway, if they cracked half way, don't you think they will just cut the lock.

• 1 month ago

Get creative. Bike locks come in many vireties - how should *I* know which lock (and modifications, so it does anything else besides dangling from the steering wheel) *you* are using?

Worst case, you'll need to take an angle grinder to it. I'd recommend to cover up the interior of the car, though.

• blazingpedals
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

I'm still trying to figure out how a bike lock would deter a car thief.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.