Victoria asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

my cat is going crazy, can anyone help?

In 2017, we rescued a cat. She took some time to adjust to indoor living, but by the end of the year she was totally comfortable. Near the end of 2019, she started chewing holes in all our clothes and blankets, which was annoying but I figured it was just because she's inside and maybe she's not getting enough stimulation, so I played with her more often. It didn't help. She started throwing up constantly, and to counter this we've fed her a little bit through the day instead of regular meals. She's not throwing up, but she's always hungry. Then she started attacking people more often, mainly my mom. Lately, she's started attacking herself, and will keep doing it even as she yowls in pain. She's sweet a lot of the time, but lately she's been really out of hand and I don't know what to do. Please help. 

She's not fixed, and we don't have the money to get her spayed, if that's an issue. 

you have an indoor cat you haven't gotten fixed?  well--that must be fun---cats in heat are truly horrendous--so I am not sure why this behavior should be an issue.  but if you aren't a troll--take your cat to the vet-quite possibly she has hyperthyroidism.

Well, OK. Bring her to my office tomorrow morning. I charge a flat $250 per hour & it will have to be every day for 6 weeks.

• PR

Your cat could have parasites such as worms or tapeworm. We had a cat with tapeworm who even bit the nose of someone holding her. They can also be "ravenous" in their appetite. 

She could also have some sort of skin irritation or other problem going on, and NEEDS to be spayed. There are groups who will spay a cat for about $25 or $35 because they get grants from the government, or from donations. You can inquire with your local Humane Society on this, or put an ad on Craigslist in the Pets Section: Wanted: Low-cost Spay/Neuter.

Take kitty to the vet. If needed either borrow the money from a friend or family member, or use CareCredit. If you cannot provide general vet care for this, and get her spayed as mentioned above, you aren't really rescuing her. She needs care.

In that case, take the kitty to an animal rescue league. These groups show their animals at pet supply stores on weekends. Just take her there during their hours, but do NOT call ahead to tell them you will be bringing her. They ALWAYS say they are full. 

If the first group can't take her, go to another. Unfortunately, at a shelter or Humane Society, this kitty would probably be put down. But at a rescue league they will get her treated and then find a home for her.

I would also check her for fleas. Look for what looks a bit like "dirt" on her skin. If she has fleas, use Capstar or Nitenpyram for the cat, and baking soda/salt on any carpeting and furniture. Wash all cat bedding.

And through all this you haven't taken her to a vet? If you don't have the money, or at least credit, to take care of a cat, why did you get one? You got the cat in 2017 and in all that time you haven't managed to find the money for a spay. Hard to believe. Start looking around for a low-cost option to spay, and start saving money for that and a vet visit.