Why isn't state income tax withholding enough?

State: Wisconsin. File 0,Single. No exemptions, dependents, etc. So max withholding per W-4. About $40,000 income range. BUT...still not withholding enough to cover liability at end of year. HOW?? I can add "additional $$ to withhold", but why should I have to? Shouldn't the filing max of 0,single, no dependents or exemptions at least cover the liability? I've always claimed this way and never had a problem until 2 years ago. I didn't change anything, but something must have changed, cause now I end up having to pay in the last 2yrs. I know the Federal Tax stuff changed, but my Federal is fine (lower refund, but still covered). The State is where the problem is. Help. This doesn't make sense that I have to pay in when my withholding is the max. TIA for any help!!

I do have W-4 forms filed for both Federal and State as required. Everything I've looked up states that what I file is the max withholding...hence should cover the liability. I'm in the 4.11% bracket for State Income Tax. Yet I've noticed my checks have only withheld about 3% for State Income Tax. Don't understand how the max deduction is less than the liability.

WI has it's own state form, fill that out. Federal carry over may not work for WI now that fed rates have changed?

• NA

You'd think if all you had was a steady paycheck, withholding would work.

IRS has improved (it used to go off the rails at $50k).  

There still seems to be an erroneous belief that everyone gets deductions, itemizes or has credits.