Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

Best time to leave baby with grandparents? Read please. ?

I've been very pressured to send my 2 month old daughter to her grandparents, shes been in the hospital twice since she's born, and I'm still establishing feeding.. Its been very forceful for them to watch her but they barely  come see her..  I have problems with bumpers which they wont listen to me about. I do want my daughter to bond with them but dont know when the perfect time is and they're being extremely forceful about it and not even coming her to see her. 

That is not a reasonable thing for grandparents to expect.

You need to continue to say, "We would love to see you - come over anytime."

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

They should come to her, PERIOD.  If you do not feel comfortable sending her to them (meaning they are far away) then they should come to you.  Tell them to stop pressuring and come see their grandchild as you are NOT sending her to them and that if they want to see her then they need to come see her.

• sarah

The best time to leave your baby with her grandparents is when you, her MOTHER, feel comfortable with it. If they're not listening to your rules/concerns and aren't even making the effort to come visit, stick to your guns and keep telling them no. When they're ready to act like adults and listen to what you, the MOTHER, feel is best for YOUR child, consider letting them babysit.

• Don’t give in to their pressure. You’re her parent, not them and you know what’s best for your baby. If you have any doubts that they won’t follow your rules or feel uncomfortable in the slightest, you’re absolutely right to refuse. If they want to bond, they can come and see her when you’re around, in the day time.

I had the same pressure when my daughter was born. My MIL thought breastfeeding was stupid, wanted to give her cereal at 10 days old and even went to the extent of buying a crib for her house (with bumpers... eye roll). Needless to say she still hasn’t stayed there. I’m not usually a confrontational person but to me it wasn’t worth putting my baby at risk just to avoid an argument.

You got this mama. Definitely use the fact that you need to establish a feeding routine for now to keep them at bay. They can’t argue with that, but don’t be afraid to stand up and advocate for your baby. It sounds like you’re already doing a great job but stay strong.