Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

If I have a Sole-Proprietorship, can I use both, a personal and business bank account to operate my business?

• Eva

Not a good idea. The IRS doesn't like it when you use a personal account for business. If you need money in your business account transfer it from your personal account and then write the checks from the business account.

Yes. No big deal. But if you have a business account, why mix the funds?

It's not a violation of federal law or tax rules to intermingle your money but it's not recommended. You should have a separate account for business. It makes it a lot easier for bookkeeping, not to mention a tax audit. 

It's easy enough to move money from one account to another if necessary.

As long as you are organized.

However, if you go through the trouble of having a business bank account, why wouldn't  you use it for all business purposes?

My business account and my personal account are at the same bank so I can easily transfer money between the two as needed.