Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 1 month ago

Is New York City a dangerous city to live in?

• 1 day ago

These days yes. Pretty much no city is safe anymore.

No. We are very safe. We are a blue city, not a redneck city. That's where you will find violence. 

• Lili

It's no more dangerous than other big cities. Its crime rate is actually reasonably low compared with some.  

Mind you, it's quite expensive to live there these days, so you're not going top be encountering much of a criminal element among the residents.  

Protect yourself.

MY grandpa lived in New York 1982 until 2017. Whenever I asked his experience in New-York city he used to say. "During that time I lived in some pretty sketchy neighborhoods (Lower East Side with drug dealers on my doorstep; Williamsburg before it was gentrified - drug dealers again, car theft rings, packs of wild dogs roaming the waterfront; Bushwick, again, pre-gentrification). Why did I live in these sketchy neighborhoods? I’m an artist and that’s where the cheap studio space was. There were times when walking home at night from the subway got a little scary, but I never had any major problems doing that.

I did have the neighbor’s pet python (at least eight feet long) crawl through my window one summer evening after it had been sunning itself on the fire escape. I called the police to have it removed and the police operator said to me, “Eight feet? Snakes don’t grow that big in New York.” For couple of hours I was worried about my new kitten, but it turned out he was hiding under the bed.

I worked for a non-profit agency that provided youth services and child care in some of the worst neighborhoods of the city. Several of our programs checked weapons at the door to serve gang youth. We never had a violent incident other than a few shoving matches in any of our programs and when I ran into the teens on the street, they treated me with respect. One of them told me, “Nobody messes with you ‘cause you walk like a cop.” I’m five foot two and overweight. Not at all like a cop. It’s a mystery.

In all that time, I had my apartment robbed once. They stole my collection of novelty watches and a really nice set of organic cotton sheets. They left the computer. I had a car stolen out from under me, possibly at gunpoint, though the guy had his hand wrapped in a towel. I wasn’t taking any chances. I let him have the car. No harm done.

I did have a beer bottle thrown at my head one night. But that was in Jersey City because I was walking home from a club with my friend and the group of drunken assholes behind us decided we must be lesbians because we wouldn’t talk to them. You can find assholes everywhere, apparently.

The most frightening personal violence I experienced while living in New York was the morning a neighbor’s dog ran out of the house while I was on my way to the subway and bit me on the leg. Trip to the emergency room, tetanus booster, two days off work. Does that count?

On the other hand, a guy walked up to my friend Ellie while we were waiting for the subway and demanded the contents of her purse. She said, ”Not tonight, I’m busy.” He looked at her for a minute, then shook his head and went off to hassle someone with less savoir faire.

Is New York dangerous? Statistically, it’s safer than most other cities in the US. That wasn’t always true. It can feel dangerous, especially if you don’t know your way around and you watch too many movies about the city. But even though I was occasionally nervous taking the subway by myself late at night, or walking home down a poorly lit street. I never thought of the city itself as dangerous. It just felt like home.

I still miss those sheets. Organic cotton grown to be naturally green instead of dyed, with a high thread count. They were nice." 

Yes, all large cities tend to be dangerous compared to suburbs or rural areas (rural areas are safest)

but

it's one of the safer cities compared to other large cities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_State...

For violent crime, using that data:

38 from the bottom (38th safest)

59th from the top (59th most dangerous)

i dont think so, ive never had an issue living there for yrs when i was a kid

i don't know , ask barak obama 

It depends on the place. Not the whole city is dangerous I guess. Like other cities in the world...there are safe places and other places that not.

Source(s): My simple opinion.