What will the process be like for when we start sending non astronauts to space?

I've heard that we will soon (possibly) start sending humans like us to space for some time. I was wondering, would we need some kind of training? Would we need to have no medical condition to go? For how long are the trips going to be for? Because I was also thinking, I think it is not a good idea to send non astronauts (with an astronaut) to space without any proper training or at least have absolutely no medical conditions. Especially to ISS, because that would interfere the work. So, how will that all work?

We won't be "sending" non astronauts to space. They will all be dorks with more money than sense who volunteer for it.

Would you pay half a million dollars of good spending money to be stuck in a tin can wearing a diaper, just to feel sick while peering into the blackness of cold, irradieted space? No, neither would I.

I don't think any training will be needed just to travel to space, I think it will be like taking a plane trip, show your ticket, jump on the space ship and take a trip to space and come back

• Thomas

Over time expect the requirements to become less and less. In the early noughties a few wealthy people paid to travel to the ISS on the Soyuz spacecraft, and each had to undergo many months of training.

Fast-forward to the near future, and Blue Origin propose 1 day's training before a flight on their New Shepard suborbital rocket. That's comparable to what's required before doing a static line parachute jump.

In the more distant future, spaceflight may become as routine as air travel, with no special training needed. As with air travel there may be some medical conditions that rule it out, but "perfect health" will not be required.

• Clive

Anyone who goes into space is an astronaut by definition.  If you mean people who aren't pilots, that's being done already.  But yes, they have training for the work they will do and just for how to live in space.  Remember Christa McAuliffe - she had to do a lot of training with NASA before, as just an ordinary school teacher, she was allowed to fly in the Space Shuttle.  Obviously not how to actually fly the thing, but most of the rest, getting used to being weightless and so on.  With 7 people on it, they don't all need to be pilots.

Unfortunately she never got to space.  She died on Challenger when it blew up.  The point is NASA DID send her after training.  It would have been fantastic - hi kids, lessons from space!  But it was not to be.

Being fit is necessary because you need regular daily exercise to prevent muscles wasting away in zero gravity.  But absolutely no medical conditions?  I can't see why a diabetic who has their condition under control couldn't do it.  I have heart failure but that's well controlled with medication, so could I go?  For now I expect the answer is no, But I could imagine yes in the future to find out how someone like me would respond to being in space.  Probably it would be less strain on my heart to be weightless so the dose could come down while in space.

There's a thing - I have regular hospital appointments to see how it's going, what the nurse does is measure my blood pressure and pulse rate and weigh me, I could do that for myself on the ISS if they teach me how to use a sphygmomanometer and report back, so it could be an interesting experiment to do up there.

We probably would be advanced enough to train children from birth

The process will be difficult, and for anyone who gets even 

remotely car-sick from riding for long distances or being in 

the back seat, going into orbit will not be an option. 

Anyone who cheats and qualifies to fly should be tossed 

out of an escape hatch and used for chum. I'm sure that 

the space sharks will enjoy the meal. 

For the foreseeable future, anyone flying to space will need significant pre flight training. And, for trips beyond Earth orbit, full astronaut training.

That's not going to change for a very, very, very long time.

• They would have to meet the same physical and mental standards that astronauts must meet.  So 90% of those on Yahoo would never make it.

noone says you have to go if you dont want to

• John1 month agoReport

I know. And I do want to go. But what I was wondering is what would the process will look like? I mean...going to space is not for everyone. Even if you have millions of dollars.

• Bill

We started that long ago with the shuttle.

• John1 month agoReport

But those were astronauts. Highly trained people. Am I am missing out on something? What I meant is the non astronauts people like you and I that are willing to spend x amount of money just to go to a short trip to space.