have you ever heard rapid clicking when trying to start that wasn't a bad battery or bad connection.?

Favorite Answer

its the starter solenoid trying to engage ..nothing else makes that noise ..sign of flat battery

• Maybe bad starter, too, or locked. . Bad connections, cables. I've tried to jump and saw Smoke from terminals--lousy jumpers, too. 

No  It is always low battery Or Possibly bad connections, or locked starter. (Or  froze engine or trying to start in gear.)  If the Solenoid were "bad", the pull in or hold in coil Open, No "click".  Or, if contacts burnt, hold in But smoke, No clicking as high I squared R loss in it. 

Only Seems  like it, especially in a Ford as mounted  on wheel well, U  hear that annoying click, Think its solenoid. Until you Think about it  and put an analog Voltmeter across  battery, see the voltage dip and recover in time to the noise. A dumb Hill  Billy  in Napa beat the Snot out of the Solenoid  in my Dad's Gran Torino when it did this.  

Sol. Was bad in my Honda, pulled in Fine, but, no starter sound.  No  "clicking" ; One Click. Bad contacts. Cleaned, repositioned,  still NG. They are Not "repairable" . New  one fixed it. 

Those who say Otherwise;  Name me the parts of one, and a GM And Chrysler unit  v.   a Ford.

• Edna

Yes; I have heard such a rapid "clicking" sound when I tried to start a car, but I knew the battery was fine. It means that the starter solenoid is going out, or has already gone out.  If the solenoid has gone out, the car will not start. 

• Been electronics tech 40 years, dad was El. Mate USN 20 plus civil service, servicing motors/dynamos. I've  fixed wiring/el on many cars/motorcycles   Many mechanics good at engines/drivetrains but Clueless around electricity. might shotgun whole starter and lie out of his shame. 

..............no. That's a weak battery. If you charge it back up and it holds a charge, then have it load tested and it tests good, the battery is good, but had been run down. Yeah, check the connections are clean and tight. Have the alternator checked.

It's always a bad or dead battery or bad cables or cable connections when you here that.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Mster Tech
    • Occasionally locked starter or froze engine, or trying to start in gear (and clutch not disengaged, all 4 wheels on pavement.) One  starter froze if motor  hot, heat soaked thru from exh. man. and field expanded, siezing  the rotor. 

• Erik

Yes, every time I have tried to use my booster battery to start someone else's car, I almost always hear that noise.  It tells me it isn't the battery (so therefore a jump wouldn't help), but possibly the starter, or something else.  At this point I leave, so I never know what was wrong with their car.

• Erik

Could be.  Just the other day some random person asked for help.  Tried my portable booster battery, tried his cables, tried his cables while my car was running, nothing worked.  So probably the starter.

• M.

Yes.............

Sounds just give you a guide on what could be wrong.  Simple test light checks could tell you if you have a bad starter.  Or a bad relay. Or a bad battery cable.  Or a bad connection. Or a bad ignition switch.  Or a ..........

If I hear rapid clicking on my hard drive, that is a sign of bad sectors.