Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 4 weeks ago

I witnessed an accident where a bicyclist was riding at night with no lights on the wrong side of the road on a winding road and the car?

Drove off.  Clearly, the bicyclist was at fault.  I called an ambulance, but I lied and said I didn't see the car and didn't get ghe plates.

Did I do the right thing?  No reason for a driver's life to be upended because the bicyclist was riding like an idiot. 

I figure I'd appreciate it if someone had my back that way by not identifying me. 

If the other driver knew there he / she hit a cyclist then its a possible felony hit and run with a lethal weapon .

The bike rider was riding the wrong direction and no lights is a stupid idea but it might not be a shoulder and a dark semi wooded area and the driver could have been high or drunk at time .

Its good you called paramedics but the police is needed to determine that whole scence with driver and bike rider for infomation .

Even if the cyclist was fully at-fault, leaving the scene of an injury accident is a crime. The only excuses I can think of for the driver to leave was if they were uninsured, unregistered, unlicensed, or DUI.

The cyclist with no lights should be aware that other drivers could not see as well. Yes, you a good thing by calling an ambulance.

You presume far too much. The vehicle is guilty of hit-and-run. The driver may have caused the accident by being DUI and leaving his lane of traffic. If this was your loved one, would you have wanted the witness to tell all they knew?

Soccerref

Even though the cyclist was at fault, the motor vehicle is guilty of leaving the screen of an accident.  Generally people leave the screen because they don't have the right to drive and/or are impaired and/or have warrants on them.  You too have broken the law by with holding information and providing false information to the police.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

Wrong!  Anytime you witness a collision or wreck it's your duty & responsibility to report it.  Time to re-read your state's drivers guidebook.    

• pmt853

I think you did the wrong thing when you lied. It sounds as if the cyclist was in the wrong but the car driver may have made a mistake too, that's not your decision to make. 

the guilt will ruin his or her life"the driver" and you will share the burden

You did the right thing. I wouldn’t have called the ambulance either