What makes a neighborhood look “nice”?

This is sort of vague and subjective I guess, but I’m wondering what about a nice looking neighborhood makes it look nice. I’ve come up with things like matching mailboxes, similar landscaping, matching style of houses. I’m just curious what other people would say makes an area “nice”. And I’m talking about just the houses and lots themselves, not amenities or location. 

A neighborhood looks nice when the houses and landscaping is nicely maintained, without junk lying around, toys left outside, etc. And fences should be an upgrade from chain link ones, which look cheap and are a poor choice because they offer no privacy.

I like landscaping.. I don't like "matching homes & matching mailboxes.. I prefer each home to have it's own look.

when the people that live there are nice

• Judy

painted, grass cut, flower gardens and shrubs well maintained, yards neat not with junk around. Many people would not consider the things you mentioned as looking nice - would often be considered a negative.

• A.J.

I don't like too much "sameness" and that's not what makes a nice neighborhood.

Well maintained, landscaped, trees and flowers, no visible trash, safe without window bars, good public schools, not overly crowded.

• Rick

NO junk cars OR trucks in the yard ...........................

No weeds growing out of the cracks in the sidewalk.