Job Application Question?

I am a 17 year old applying for a job, and a question pops up asking, "will you require sponsorship to obtain, maintain, or extend your employment authorization?". I have to have them sign a work permit from my school, but I don't know if that counts. Do I say yes or no????

• Bort

That is what the work permit is, answer Yes to that question and answer "Work permit. I'm 17 years old." in the explination field if there is one. I'm assuming you already know what the work permit is for - it allows you to work while still legally being a minor (under 18).

It's not a big deal. Employers that hire people under 18 are used to the work permit process. For them it's just a form or card they have to sign and make a copy of for their records.

• Judy

no. They're asking if you're legal to work in the US

NO. They're asking about immigration status. If you were born in the U.S., or you're a naturalized citizen, or you have a green card, then the answer is no. They are asking whether you are a foreigner whose visa doesn't allow them to work in the U.S. without a lot of paperwork that Americans don't need.

i would ask the place thats hiring about it

Say no. This is information which deals with people from other countries who have temporary authority to work in America.

No, they’re asking if you’re a U.S. citizen/legal resident or visitor, or if you’re looking for an employer to sponsor you for immigration or a visa.