If I marry an American citizen and have a child. What is my child’s status. What’s mine?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Baby will be US citizen if born on US soil.Father might be able to transmit US citizenship through consular report of birth abroad

Figure that out with the US embassy.  I don't know what your immigration status is but it will NOT change at all. Having a US citizen child means nothing unless when they turn 21 are able to sponsor you. You have to meet certain requirements though. Again, figure that out. 

Also keep in mind that not all countries allow dual/multiple citizenships and not all countries allow citizenship by birth in their soil. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Then your child will be a dual national, he/she will be a US citizen and a citizen of your country 

• 1 month ago

your child would be an American (was born in u.s.). hold a u.s. birth certificate, can run for president

you would be a U.S. Citizen (came here and got citizenship). have a home country to go back to

• 1 month ago

The child is likely to be a citizen of your country and their other parent's.

Your status doesn't change at all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The child will be a dual-national, with birthright citizenship as US citizen by birth to US citizen, wherever it is born. Child will also have birthright citizenship in your country of citizenship by birth to whichever country you are a citizen of, wherever it is born.

You have no status, just being married to US citizen, except your citizenship in your country. Either your spouse files a petition for your immigration to US, or you arrange your spouse's immigration to your country. Only if you are approved for & receive a spouse visa can you enter US. You will receive temporary (conditional) green card valid for up to 2 years IF the marriage continues. Likewise, if you arrange your spouse's immigration to your country, your spouse can enter your country. 

Note that by having a child, you substantially increase support requirements for the Affidavit of Support. This could complicate, or even prevent, your spouse from sponsoring your immigration.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

When you marry an American citizen you're then also an American. Any children are also American.

• ...Show all comments
    • wombatfreaks
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

No, not correct, it is a long and expensive process , with no sure outcome, when applying for citizenship for one's spouse. 

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If your spouse is the child's parent that child will be a US citizen no matter where in the world it's born. Your status is unaffected by marriage unless your spouse decides to sponsor your immigration to the US. This assumes you have no criminal record and have never spent time in the US illegally, both of which would likely make it impossible for you to easily obtain legal status in the US.

• 1 month ago

Your child will qualify for American citizenship either by being born in the United States or by being the child of an American citizen (if the child is born outside the USA). You will qualify for a green card (permanent residency in the USA) after several years of marriage. After five years of legal residency in the U.S., you can become an American citizen.) 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would ask immigration this question

• 1 month ago

Let’s say you’re Japanese and husband is American. The kid will be a us citizen and a Japanese citizen in the United States. Japan doesn’t recognize dual citizenship, so the kid will have to give up one of his citizenship. You’re still a Japanese citizen until you become an American citizen either by taking a test after living in the US for 5 years (that’s what it used to be but I don't know if the years required have changed) or by getting approved for citizenship through marriage. You have to go through a series of interviews and questions to prove that it’s not a marriage for profit, meaning that you paid the guy to marry you so that you’ll get your green card. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.