How old were you when you moved in your first apartment?

I'm 24 and my husband is 26. I have lived with his mom for 5 years and he has lived with his mom all of his life. we are moving out this coming saturday and we have never been on our own before. we pay 650 for a two bed one bath apartment and about 40 for internet/wifi and 50 approx a month for electric.

What do you usually buy for groceries when you first move in? I just need some ideas

Favorite Answer

For the first ever groceries shop - get all the store cupboard basics you will need. If you're not sure - look around the kitchen, and write a list based on everything you regularly use.

You'll also need household basics - toilet roll, cleaning products etc.

I worked for "room and board" with a room in a dormitory basement when I started college at 18 and had various apartments until I was 29, when I bough my first house.

I got a few things for the first apartment from friends and family to get started and filled in the gaps as I discovered them. Basic furniture, cookware, cleaning and maintenance (toolbox), etc.  Already was familiar with Goodwill and other thrift outlets, since we had an annual ritual (growing up) for restocking a summer home.

I was 31 years old and I moved into a house I had just bought.

I cant really remember, that was 10 years ago and I still went over to mom and dads often for meal then would leave with the leftovers ina take out container.

I was 19 & didn't have any problem figuring out my groceries...

I was 18 but did not do it for very long before I went to Job Corps & my parents paid for most of it. 

1st round of groceries will be the most expensive. You will need to get pantry staples like salt & pepper that you do not buy unless needed after that. As far as what to buy - that 100% depends on your personal preferences, eating habits & diets. 

• Maxi

16yrs old when I moved away from home to go to College and lived independantly. I shopped for groceries at the local shop and purchased things I wanted to cook/eat

I was 22 when I bought my first house. I never paid rent in my life.

I bought used furniture and kitchen items until I could afford better. I ate simply when I cooked at all at home. I worked a lot and had fast food a lot. It took time to build up a supply of things like spices and other ingredients for cooking. I ate a lot of steak, burgers, frozen fries or tots, baked potato, canned vegetables...

• Bort

Whenever you're moving regardless of it's the first time or not what is probably best to do is create a check list of things you need so you don't forget or end up reminded you didn't get something the hard way by not having it when you need it.

As far as food get the food you like. Don't forget cleaning supplies and toilet paper. A lot of people get reminded too late that they didn't include that on their list. Personal cleaning supplies (soap, shampoo, tooth paste). You'll need pots and pans to cook with and plates and silverware to eat with, the spices you like, cooking utensils like a can opener and spatulas and a knife set to prep with. Appliances like a toaster and other counter top stuff you may not already have.

The list becomes very long pretty quick. The more organized and prepared you are the easier this experience will be. Everyone learns a whole lot of things about them selves and how life really is the first few years of being on their own. Some of those lessons are a slap in the face, some are face palm worthy, and some are a kick in the butt.

• A.J.

I was 21. For furnishings, don't buy new too cheap. You can buy necessity minimum but aim for quality and a matching decor as you can afford it. It's better to have only a few nice things than an apartment crowded with junk.

Keep minimal good pots and pans, good dishes in the same way.

Kitchen cooking appliances, try not to crowd the kitchen.

But, I like a good electric steamer

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hamilton-beach-5-1-2-...

I like glass containers for food storage instead of plastic. They clean better. Take good care of lids. Consider buying a set. Large decent sealable plastic for dry cereal, pasta, snacks. Use plastic seal bags sandwich, quart, gallon size for larger items for fridge and freezer. Avoid saving small plastic containers. They clutter up the kitchen.

Insects are common if you don't keep things sealed.

Make sure you have adequate cleaning supplies and a good vacuum cleaner.

Groceries - Plan on shopping once a week for replenishing, checking the on-sale items and once mid-week for fresh fruit and vegetables and fill-in. Try to avoid either waiting until the place is empty of food, or continually shopping for a few groceries.

Preference fresh food, but most hold well only a few days so don't overbuy.

Very few canned foods. Buy your basic spices. That varies by culture.

Stock up paper goods and non-perishable when on sale or at a warehouse club.

Have an agreement between you about open food and aged food. If neither will eat it, throw it out. Couples leave old food for the other person.

When in doubt about food safety, throw it out.

If not careful, you will find things in a cabinet for years, or in a fridge for weeks that spoils other things.

I learned to buy at least 70% on-sale and I am not brand specific typically.

• Jim

You buy food you know you can cook, along with milk, eggs, and bread.