Raquel asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

Best dog breeds for a medium sized home? ?

I’m looking into dogs but I don’t have too much space to get say a large german shepherd. But it’s not that small where I’d need a miniature chihuahua or something. A dog that is an intelligent and affectionate breed with easy trainability. Their energy level doesn’t bother me I am always ready to play with dogs but I am worried if their energy is too high they may bore easily and get destructive when I am not home, although I do like taking my dogs out with me when I can. 

A medium-sized spitz breed if you can handle their willpower and know what you're doing when it comes to raising dogs...  the Keeshond is very sweet.  American eskimo is stunning but it might be a lot to handle.  German spitz  is like a bigger less mutant Pomeranian!  although depending on where you are located you either have to wait for a puppy or won't have the chance to find one...  Maybe elkhound, although that would be a lot of dog even though its medium sized…  

Source(s): I like spitz because they are not so clingy yet they are one-family type dogs.
  • Bort

Staffordshires, pit bulls, any bull breed. Sounds like a bull breed would be perfect for you because they're extremely intelligent, super sweet and affectionate, easy to train, decent energy when they reach adult hood, protective, defensive, playful, loving etc etc etc.

They're great dogs as long as they're raised and treated right (no cages! no violence! they do require lots of attention but they're easy to care for).

Bull breeds are mostly medium size dogs like you're looking for too. Not all bull breeds are humongous like you see on YouTube. Full breed Staffordshire's maximum weight for a male is around 70bls, a little less than half the size of a full grown GSP. My female Staffy is 9 years old and has never been over 68lbs. She generally stays around 50lbs and is slightly below knee height.

If bul breeds are cared for and exercised right all their life they can be full of energy well in to being 13 or more years old. My 9 year old still has a ton of energy and loves to chase a ball and run around fields all day.

It's great to see it seems people are finally getting past their fear and hatred for bull breeds because they truly are amazing dogs. Mine has been a blessing to my life for the 8 years I've had her.

We would need to know what you are looking for. The Poodle (any size) is the second most intelligent of all breeds. The first is the Border Collie but it would not suit your lifestyle. It needs a MASSIVE amount of exercise.

Check out the dogs that are considered hypoallergenic breeds. They shed less or not much at all depending on the breed. Many sizes to choose from.

Have you considered adoption? or are you set on getting a purebred? If so, do not buy from a BYBer. Find a reputable breeder by finding the national breed club & contact them to find reputable breeders near you.

A medium sized mutt from your local shelter.

Well, any breed can be housed in a small place, even a small apartment or RV. It's all dependent on your ability to give them the appropriate exercise and mental stimulation. A tired dog is a happy dog.

Any breed you get MUST be trained not to chew anything up and boredom is helped with appropriate exercise and mental stimulation.

It would HELP if you either provide your square footage (what one person thinks is a small or medium home can VARY to an extreme, OR just provide a WEIGHT or HEIGHT limit.  GSD can range a fair bit in size, and obviously a female not only GSD (but in any breed) would be smaller.  I live in about 1250 sq feet with 85 & 90 pound dogs.  But I have a large yard and ready access to a greenway.