Failure to yield to the tight way. How can I defend myself in Chattanooga Tennessee?

Greetings! I have been cited for failure to yield to the right way. Accident happened but No injuries involved. That wasn’t my fault really. The left turn vehicle was speeding and it was rainy, dark and poor visibility. How should I defend myself? Thank you for your time to have read this!

No body was injured. 

What would be penalties if I lost the case?

Still your fault. There is no defense, you had to cede the right of way, which means if it is dark and rainy, etc you need to be even more careful.

• Boris1 month agoReport

If I knew I needed to yield I’d do. But that wasn’t clearly marked. 

If a vehicle was turning left then why were YOU cited? In the US a vehicle turning left always has to yield right of way to everyone else. So unless they had a dash cam proving they had a left turn green light they are going to be considered responsible. 

• Kieth

Get a traffic court attorney, it will cost less than the fine and probably get you off without any points on your record.

Less than ideal conditions or behavior of other drivers does not change who was supposed to yield the right of way.  

You have to show that either the other vehicle did not have the right of way or that you could not know you needed to yield.  For example, if your view of a Stop or Yield sign/signal was obstructed - or if it had been knocked down - then you may be able to defend yourself against the ticket. If the sign/signal was obstructed or knocked down then you need photos.  If a traffic signal was not operating due to a power outage then you need proof of the outage from the power company.  

• Goldfly252000
      1 month agoReport

If a traffic signal is out then it is to be treated as a stop. Unless the lights are somehow all burned out it isn't going to be out on one side and not the other. So if someone is turning left and the other person hit them it isn't a light being out that caused it.

You have no defense. You don't know that the other vehicle was speeding. Rainy, dark and poor visibility may have contributed to the accident but they do not excuse the accident. When those things are present, you exercise MORE than normal caution. If the other vehicle had the right to be where it was and you did not have the right to be where you were, it's your fault. All you can do is go to court and argue that the officer that cited you was wrong. You will have to prove why that officer was wrong and you weren't. We can't help you with that, we weren't there.

• curtisports2
      1 month agoReport

This varies by state. In New York, if this was your first offense for failure to yield, the fine will be no more than $150 but could be as low as $0. However, the state adds a surcharge of between $80 and $100. You (or your insurance) will also pay for damage to the other car.