Jack asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 month ago

Why doesn't my laptop recognize my nikon d850 .?

I have the hdmi cable and the usb cable hooked up. I would like to view my view finder to use it on a copy stand

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

first install the correct driver for your camera on the laptop so that the laptop can "see" your camera

• qrk

Connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI input on your monitor. No computer necessary.

• keerok

You want your laptop to serve as the viewfinder of the D850? The HDMI port of your laptop is output only so I don't think it'll work with HDMI. With USB however and an appropriate tethering software, maybe. You could connect your D850 to your TV through HDMI to serve as a gigantic viewfinder but then there are smaller portable monitors that can serve this purpose too.

If you need to save the picture to the laptop as you shoot from the camera, you can also consider using a wifi SD card. You can't see through the laptop (desktop, tablet or smartphone) what you're shooting but you can access whatever shots were taken in-camera in a jiff (not instantaneously and may need some setting up if you want to do this automatically).