Kelsey asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

how to stop dog from jumping on countertop?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Use a shock collar. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

I googled your question.

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+stop+dog+fr...

Put a couple of set mouse traps under a layer of newspapers & when the trap trips it will jump & rattle the paper & the sound of the snap will startle the dog & hopefully jump down. Trap won't get toes cause it is under the paper but it sure scares them.

You can use a water bottle or water gun to blast him with it when you catch him on the cabinet. You can also rig up a soda can with small pebbles in it, tape the hole closed so the pebbles don'g come out. Attach a wire to the can to use as a bail. Catch the dog on cabinet & sling the can by the bail so the dog doesn't hear the correction coming. Aim for it to land right beside the dog. Startle & scare dog, lol. Oh, what they go through just to learn a lesson. lol. I love training dogs. I am long retired but They are my everything.

• 1 month ago

Well for starters, remove anything that allows him to jump onto, to reach the countertop.    If this doesn't involve anything to help (and my neighbour had a Whippet who was a counter-surfer with no assistance), then you just have to develop eyes in the back of your head - and REMOVE ANYTHING UP THERE that he might be after!!   And stop him in the act with a firm NO!!!!!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Set a trap for the dog if you know the dog is going to jump on the countertop cover your countertop with mouse traps and await your dog to do something stupid it won't hurt the dog but it will be painful enough so that the dog won't be dumb enough to do it anymore.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

you teach it what the word no means thoroughly, and use it copiously until it obeys

• 1 month ago

There is a product called SCAT MATS that can be put ON the counter & will give a small shock to the animal if it puts feet on the mat (which you put ON the counter). That may seem cruel but it works (even when you are not home). Or the mat can keep the dog from crossing INTO the room where the off limit counter tops are, but a baby gate may also do the same thing.

They also make anti-jump harnesses (usually for preventing fence jumping) by restricting the back legs movement for a jump or stretch and-that may work.

So will correcting the dog verbally & physically in an authoritative way for even COUNTER sniffing (let alone actual jumping) but this takes many repeats. Dogs often do what is in their bests interests, so a corrective tool like the scat mat will work FASTER but so would have been PREVENTION of the action - from the get-go.

No dog in my home (rescue or my own) HAS EVER jumped on the counter or stolen food from the counter in over 35 years, and I have large breeds weighing up to 90 lbs. I DO NOT "let it" happen.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Tap it on the butt every time it does it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

We have used mouse traps, balloons and the last worked the best.  Bought a 2 way nanny cam, have it sitting on the counter... when the dog jumped up, alarm went off, we yelled get down!  Now the dogs don’t go near any counters nor the table.

The cheapest way was to leave some dog treats,  and people cookies and kibble up on the counter and in the next room we busied ourselves playing a game not paying attention, we let the dog jump up, then we yell “OFF!” While shaking a tin can filled with coins, marbles or whatever makes a scary startling sound. It usually takes one or maybe two days before they fully get the idea that counter surfing is naughty.

the dogs usually try about three times average the first day.  With the help of a cellphone we put it on the counter and watch for the dog trying to thief the food.  As soon as he starts trying to stand on the counter we pop around the corner once again shaking the noisy can to startle him and say “Off” once again.  After this happens they usually don’t try again.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Tell them firmly no and point to the floor where you put a treat. Eventually you will be able to point to the floor without the treat and you will have trained them.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Mouse traps .........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.