Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Was it right for my counselor to suggest this?

So I am going to see a psychiatrist to evaluate me to see if I should have my SMI designation removed. My counselor who I have been seeing for a few months is helping me prepare for the appointment by giving me some pointers. I am a goth soI like to wear spiked collars, black lipstick and black clothing, but my counselor told me that I should ''tone down'' the goth by wearing more gray instead of black and exclude the jewelry and the lipstick because she said that it could make a bad impression with the psychiatrist. I told her that I did not want to because if the psychiatrist knew how to properly diagnose me or whatever then they would not make any decisions in regards to the way I dress or the fact that I am a goth at all. Was it fair or right for my counselor to suggest this? Also should I just go the way that I dress?

• audrey
    Favorite Answer

Wear what you usually wear. You want the psychiatrist to see you as you really are.

If you're going because you want specific drugs (such as adderall or benzos), then it probably makes sense to tone it down. If you have a history of hospitalizations and don't want to be hospitalized, it probably makes sense to leave a so-called good impression. But, if you're just going to be evaluated or get meds you've been on, then I don't think you should tone it down. You should be yourself.

First off, no one knows what an SMI designation is.

Skip that.  Remember that you choose to dress the way you do for attention and to shock other people while identifying with a certain group.  It's like wearing a police uniform of a nurses uniform and cap.  You want people to see you, set you apart and know that you belong to a certain group.

OK, so your counselor suggesting that you go without your uniform is wise counsel....why?  Because without your uniform, you will look like anyone else.  And perhaps the purpose of this "SMI designation" is to find you as normal, able to function and not attention seeking?

So yeah.  If this is the purpose of the exam, them it would be better to look like the rest of us.

Your counsellor suggested something that should help you.  Was she right to do so?  Yes.

The key word here is suggested, not told, forced or blackmailed. What you do with this  advice is entirely up to you.