Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Belgium · 3 months ago

Why are Belgian people so disrespectful towards British soldiers who died liberating their country during World War 1?

To give some context on the message before she told me there was no British soldiers during the Somme only common wealth ones, she also made derogatory remarks about British people.  This has left a bad taste in my mouth towards Belgian people considering my great great grandfather died in the Somme.

The Somme is in France, not in Belgium, and Belgians tend to be rather respectful towards the soldiers of the various allied nations and the sacrifices they made on our soil.

You obviously haven't been here... If you had you would know about the Last Post still being played live every day in Ypres under the Menin gate since the end of WW1, about all the pristinely kept military cemetaries, etc.

Stop being such an insular anglophone/islander. It's not as if I never run into any arrogant/ignorant Brits.

• Orla C

Was she being derogatory about the soldiers of the past or the Brextards of today?

Because none of the people who lived thru the war in Belgium are still alive today. They have short memories.