Simona Omina asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How do I get a strangers dog to come up to me?

Is there a way I can get a well-trained dog that doesn't notice strangers to come up to me?

• "How do I get a strangers dog to come up to me?"

Simple:

👺Keep HITTING and shouting at the owner.

There is a strong likelihood that the dog will attack you to protect the owner.

That might not be the way you WANTED it to "come up to you", of course, Simona....

But at 20 you should have been aware that you left out all the IMPORTANT information. Sadly, the human brain  doesn't become fully "switched on" before the age of 26.

So you have a LOT of explaining to do.

• "Is there a way I can get a well-trained dog that doesn't notice strangers to come up to me?"

Yes - and in most cases my tongue-in-cheek answer WILL achieve what you asked for without doing any serious thinking about the situation.

So TELL us:

💥1: What BREED or breed-mix is this dog❓

💥2: WHERE is it? Such as: Inside a fenced area? Outside a shop❓

💥3: What is its JOB, as far as you can tell❓ Such as: A drugs or explosives detection dog? A guard dog? A guide dog? A police dog? A search & rescue dog?

💥4: What DOES it do when you call to it❓ When you move closer to it❓ When you toss a pea-sized treat (maybe hard cheese, or baked liver) to it❓

💥5: WHY do you want it to come to you?

If you haven't already learnt how to add information  (such as the answers to my five 💥 questions) to your question:

⛤ Click the [Edit] under your question, then

⛤ click the [Add Update] that will appear, then

⛤ type your responses into the clear area that appears.

Meantime, the only SENSIBLE answer to your question is:

👸🏽 WAIT until its owner appears, then politely ask the owner for PERMISSION to pat or rub or stroke the dog, or let it eat a tiny treat out of the palm of your hand.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

I used to be into animal rescues back before I got old. & the way I would gain trust of a stray that is behaving that way. I would fry up a pound of bacon or have some strong smelly meat or fish & sit & either act like you are eating it or go ahead & eat some too. Toss a small bite in the direction of the dog. Do not try to draw it near you by tossing the food closer & closer yet. Just let the dog know you got some wonderful smelling stuff & the dog loves it. After a few hours or a few days you can start trying to draw it near by tossing the little bite closer & closer but very gradually. One dog took 4 days before it would even let me touch it.

Do everything in your power to not look the dog in the eyes, absolutely no eye contact. Dogs take that as a direct confrontation/challenge & you don't want to scare the dog off just cause you looked it in the eyes. You can see enough out of your peripheral eyesight to know exactly where the dog is & what it is doing. It is hard not to make eye contact cause that is natural for humans. It is not so with dogs.

A lot of them times is just getting the dog to trust you. If you can't get the dog the first day you set out to do so. Leave something that you have already worn so it has your scent on it. Let the dog keep smelling you scent. The garment is no threat to the dog. Sometimes it is easy & other times it takes a while.

I think I just echo Bort with...

"No. And it's inappropriate to try to"

• Jojo

Tell us WHY and you might get some appropriate answers. If a stranger tried to lure MY dog to them, they would wish they`d never bothered.Its not your place to touch other peoples dogs. Keep away. Jmo. 

• Bort

No. And it's inappropriate to try to. If you're asking about a service dog it's best to act like it's not there as the dog is treating you because they are working dogs when they're on duty out in public with their owner. They have tasks and a lot of other things they're consentrating on that are important for the owner, that's why the dog is like that. Don't disturb it from it's job the same as you wouldn't disturb someone doing work they have to concentrate on and shouldn't be interrupted while doing.

• Kathy

You do not want to do that.

WHY?  It is considered RUDE to try and pet a dog without permission, and if the owner/handler is keeping the dog close to them, they may not WANT any interaction or the dog may NOT be SAFE for petting.  Start by ASKING if you MAY pet the dog, rather than trying to VIOLATE the dog or owner's SPACE or trying to LURE it, which may garner the dog a serious leash/collar CORRECTION.