Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

How to avoid Mad cow disease? ?

This is the most horrible thing I've seen people die from. My uncle had it years ago and died quite quickly from it. Can you catch it somewhere else other than infected meat? I still eat meat though i eat high quality grass fed meat where it's less cows and so every one of them get tested. I never buy cheap supermarket meat ever from factory farms.  

There is a disease similar to mad cow disease from eating wild meat and deer so be careful what you eat. It's a really scary thing that cooking doesn't kill the stupid thing

Don't eat any cow that seems angry.

• C

If you want to be especially careful don't eat sweetbreads (the brain) and don't eat meat products from mechanically reclaimed meat (that's high water pressure hoses used to blast off any meat clinging to the bones of the carcass and then scooped up to be used as meat filler in cheap sausages), unfortunately the method picked up matter from the spinal cortex which can also harbor prion diseases.  Try not to worry yourself, I know it's easier said than done after your experience.  Now that hvCJD is known about the testing is much more rigorous.  If you become a brain surgeon don't get brain fluid sprayed in your face or lick the surgical instruments.  Also, don't eat the brains of infected dead people unless you're a zombie. CJD is fortunately a very difficult to catch disease, especially from human to human.

• Janet

"According to the CDC, four deaths from vCJD have been identified in the U.S. However, it's believed those cases were caused by consumption of meat outside the U.S."

The US tests all domestic meat for this disease, so if you ONLY eat US-produced meat, you will be safe.

Supermarket meat is safe to eat.