Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Why are some customers so rude to staff?

I work in a large retail store. Yesterday, a customer demanded a refund on a $70 perfume that her husband bought. She said he bought the wrong one. As is our policy, I asked if she still had her receipt (

we will happily refund customers if they have their receipt). She said she didn’t have it. Normally, I could possibly search

up our system and find her transaction to print a copy of the receipt, to do the refund. To do this, I asked her if she knew when he purchased it and if it was from our store. She started yelling, “I don’t know! He bought it from ONE of your stores, not this store! How am I supposed to know which one!?” I calmly explained that I cannot access transactions from other stores, and that I was not able to process a refund without any proof of purchase. She sighed and said, “Geez, I come here all the time, for God’s sake! Can’t you just get a manager!?” I said, “yes, of course, just a moment.”

My manager arrived and she complained to him about me. My manger then told her basically the same thing. We cannot refund or give the customer a store credit with no proof of purchase. She stormed over to me and said, “this is just ridiculous, I come here all the time! My husband is in hospital!” Then she marched out of the shop, while other customers watched. Customers like her make me wonder sometimes - what goes through their mind when they are so rude? Do they just not care about how their attitude might impact anyone else?

• Foofa

There used to be this motto that goes "the customer is always right". Chances are this is some "Karen" who doesn't understand that Millennials have decided service workers are on the same level as those they serve. But do consider that if her husband is in the hospital and if she's broke enough to have to return a $70 perfume she's probably under a lot of stress.

Oh those are tough situations

I recite policy

I have asked customer to be mindful when talking to me.

I've also said...I can help you if you are yelling at me...

A manager is always called with a pushy customer 

Welcome to retail

shes too worried about her husband to care about anyone else

• I care

Sorry, when you have to actually put up with rude individuals who could care less how they sound or what they are saying.  No matter if in an office even rudeness can be found most everywhere.  You handled yourself just great and your Manager verified it by what they did.  Just learn to allow it to roll off your back.  (why, one can't change people no matter what or how they try,  the person has to want to change) Enjoy your day.  

There are stores that will issue a store credit/store gift card if there is no proof of purchase. People are spoiled with this service and that's why shoplifting is so common dispite having security sensors and cameras.

I had a retail business for a number of years and occasionally was bothered by jerks similar to this. People can be very rude and there's no reason to take it. I didn't. If a person was civil, I usually worked with them and, as a result, had many repeat customers.