Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 4 weeks ago

A nail poke my butt? ?

So, I was about to sit down and a nail poke ( a nail was on the sofa )  my buttocks and it’s not bleeding or anything I feel like a tiny bump I don’t see anything. Should I be worry I’m scary . I have bad anxiety. Should I get a  tetanus 

shot 

• Angel

If the nail did not pierce through the skin, but simply poked it with no puncture then you don’t need a tetanus shot.

If you have had a tetanus shot in the last ten years then you will not need a tetanus shot.

If the nail did pierce the skin causing you to bleed, or just left a hole in the skin and it’s been a long time since you have had a tetanus shot then you will need to go in for one.

If you don’t remember if you have ever had a tetanus shot the by all means get one, if you had one and didn’t remember, doubling up on one won’t hurt you.

When you were in high school it was required that you got a tetanus shot, if that helps you any.  Your family doctor would have a record of your shots or your parents might remember.

Chances are being from something inside, not rusty or covered with germs, mud etc you might be safe, but why take the chance, the shots are not really painful wind tetanus ie far worse than any shot they can give.

Good luck.

No worries. It's a butt full of nuttin'.

• CB

If you have never had a tetanus shot then by all means you should have one - they last for 10 years. A nail from a sofa is not likely to have come in contact with tetanus - a nail from a farmyard or old junk pile where vermin defecate and urinate - likely source for the disease.