Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How do I stop my two dogs from fighting? They have lived together for years but all of a sudden they have been getting into fights?

How do I stop my two dogs from fighting? They have lived together for years but all of a sudden they have been getting in intense fights for 2 days  now. They are fine for a little bit but once my one dog starts to growl the other gets mad and they go at it. I don’t know what to do. It’s a Bichon and a yorkie

They are both males and bichon is 4 and yorkie 7 years of age. The Bichon is not neutered but the yorkie is. They eat together and everything is fine but once they settle in the house there are problems. The yorkie seems to be like he always is but once he goes over to the bichon the Bichons growls which sets off the yorkie causing them to fight. The bichon is a really shy dog whereas the yorkie is more playful. Idk if neutering the bichon is what I will have to do. Or if it will solve it.

I guess it’s really on the bichon because it started when they were both in the cage together for when they were going to sleep and as I put the Yorkie in it went over just to go greet or smell the bichon and then it growled then the Yorkie growled which led to a fight. I don’t think the yorkie really wants to fight but every time the bichon growls at him he gets pissed off. Almost seems like a respect thing.

Turn the water hose on them.

First question. Are they neutered? Guessing both are males. Although females will do the same thing. One dog has to be dominant over the other. Dogs live in a world of pecking order. You may be at the top of the pecking order but they see each other as opponents. They are fighting for dominance. Once which ever dog becomes the most dominate then things will settle down.

There fighting is normal to settle who is going to be top dog. If there are serious wounds that need a Vet to stitch up, you may just have to keep them separate. If the wounds are simple bite wounds, the fight is not to the death, just to submission.

You see this in all kind of grouping of animals. Every pack, herd, pod, troop ..... has a top or lead animal. Wolves fight for this position, Horses fight for it too. It is just part of Animal Behavior that most people do not understand cause they know nothing or anything about canine behavior.

• Franco1 month agoReport

The Yorkie is neutered and the bichon isn’t the Yorkie is about 7 and the Bichon 4 years of age but for the most part they were always close but now they are fighting. The Yorkie seems to be cool up until he approaches the Bichon and then the Bichon starts growling which sets off the Yorkie.

If they are now indoors after living in the garage before, I'd suggest that could be enough to have caused all this.  But if they were outside and not with you 100%, how do you know this is something new?   Before I read about moving them from the garage to the house, I'd have said that perhaps one of them is not so fit, and the other recognises this so is taking the opportunity to be top dog.   Is it always the same one who starts this?

You say they've been living together ok for years, but for how many years and how old is each?   I had a youngster I'd kept from an all-male litter and when he reached around 18 months he started challenging his uncle.   The youngster hadn't been used at stud, but his unclel had.   Neither was castrated.   I tried all I knew to get them to sort out their problem (it was always down to the younger one) but nothing worked and as the fights became more serious, I had to find a good home for the younger boy which as we always kept those we'd chosen from our litters (usually one but sometimes two and once from a particularly good litter, three) from birth to death, that was very hard on me.   Not so much him, or the rest of our small pack - we visited him some months later and he was fine with his two b itch companions.

Could there be a b itch in season locally - assuming they are entire and male?  This may well be that you have to either live with them separated most of the time, or rehome one to a home where he's the only dog there.

• Jojo

You need to tell us the ages and the genders of the dogs and if either is neutered (spayed or castrated). Also if possible, the basic temperament of both dogs, and if they fight just in the house or also when out on walks together. What `seems` to trigger the fights? Without more info, all answers can only be just wild guesses.

• PR

-Neuter

-Pick up all bones and toys.

-Take them to the vet in case one or both are sick. Sick dogs get aggravated.

-Take for walks together.

-Decide if something in the house is different.

-Separate briefly with a gate.

-Feet at least 8 feet apart and DO NOT self-feed. Put the bowls down and then pick them up RIGHT AWAY, after feeding time. No food should be left on the floor at all. Do not allow either dog to go to the other's dish.

-Keep a couple pans handy, and bang them together if the dogs even think about starting a fight.

I would take them to a vet. If you have bones or other toys around, dogs will fight over these. One of our dogs NEVER liked to chew on bones, but she would collect one of the bones and hold onto it - just because she was a dog! She seemed a bit perplexed over the bone, as though she had to decide what to do with it, even though she didn't even want it!

I picked up all the bones.

• Franco1 month agoReport

It’s strange though the Bichon is minding its business and doesn’t really like to play with any toys but the Yorkie will look to fight

Has anything in the home or in anyone's routine changed, or is one dog sick or ailing?  Often, if one dog has cancer, another dog in the home may react aggressively towards it; for example.

You need to correctly BOTH dogs EQUALLY (regardless who started it) that way you show no 'favor' which is important if the hierarchy of who is top dog is changing. Second, you need to start separating them via baby gates or some type of barrier rather than letting them be together, unless both are heavily exercised (first, to take some WIND out of their sails) and you have another helper - in case WW3 breaks out - again.

• Franco1 month agoReport

Yeah there routine has completely changed before they stayed together everyday in our garage which was there primary place. Now they are inside the house and are being house trained. They both sleep in a crate together

Neuter them. That solves most of the issues.